Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Unlocking a Remington J Lock without the key? >

Unlocking a Remington J Lock without the key?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Unlocking a Remington J Lock without the key?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Unlocking a Remington J Lock without the key?

Anybody know how to thwart the damnable remington j lock without the key?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The j-lock is part of the shroud, so it comes off with it just like the other remington bolts. If you don't have a tool to do it, you can use a shoelace or I like to use a coat hanger. There is a video somewhere showing how to field strip a bolt with a boot lace.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Ive already dissassembled the bolt( BTW that bootlace deal works never woulda thought of it myself) . How can i get at the lock when its apart? Its still in the shroud.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
The j-lock is part of the shroud, so it comes off with it just like the other remington bolts. If you don't have a tool to do it, you can use a shoelace or I like to use a coat hanger. There is a video somewhere showing how to field strip a bolt with a boot lace.
I saw that video on YT but I thought that was for stripping the bolt on a 700? PDunk, if you know anyone who has bought an new 870 or 1187 in the past 5 years, they might have a Jlock key you can borrow, or you can call rem, they might even send you 1 free, rem likes to give stuff away, I got a free rear sight for a model 7 and a mag plug free all they asked me for was the serial #s.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

just get a Callahan replacement..i think they are $40..looks better and its cheap.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Im thinking about the callahan replacement, ive tried all my buddies and none have their keys, none of my local smiths have one either. I finished the trigger job and all i liked beforei got to shoot my new project was to mount the scope and i had the bright idea to mess with the j lock and.......click it locked on me.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm just out of curiosity, are you talking about making a slug gun or are you talking about a rifle Isnt a jlock the safty on a newer rem shotgun? I didnt know rifles had jlocks but I could be wrong. either way Id just call rem, cant imagine it cost more than a couple buck + ship, if not free.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Podunk where are you at. I've got one here in Mulberry that I'm looking at, don't even have a remington any more
Ron
Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I didnt know rifles had jlocks but I could be wrong.
Unfortunately
Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rjhans53
Podunk where are you at. I've got one here in Mulberry that I'm looking at, don't even have a remington any more
Ron
Im not far away, in tampa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.