Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger VS. Browning...BIG felt recoil difference! >

Ruger VS. Browning...BIG felt recoil difference!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger VS. Browning...BIG felt recoil difference!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger VS. Browning...BIG felt recoil difference!

Had a chance to shoot both a Ruger Haykeye and a Browning Stainless Stalker today both in 7mm Rem Mag.
There was a BIG difference in felt recoil shooting the same ammo.

The Ruger felt like a sharp "jab" where the Browning felt like a little push. I've shot LOT'S of 7mm Rem Mags, and I've never had one that was so pleasant to shoot! I think I could have spent the whole day at the range shooting and not feel any ill effects.

Now why in the world was there THAT much difference between the two rifles????

The Ruger was a stainless/laminate and actually weighed more than the Browning. Both had the factory recoil pads on them and we shot nothing but 150gr. Federal Fusions for comparison.

Both rifles fit me very well.......just shocked at how much difference me AND my buddy both felt between the 2 rifles.

Any ideas folks???
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better pad?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

total weight difference perhaps??
Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better fit?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not really sure, but my experience is that rugers always kick more than any other rifle that I have ever shot. I own 3 ruger rifles and love the way they shoot. My ruger 06 kicks way more than my rem 06.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Look at the stocks from the top and see if they are canted or straight (right hand canted to the right, etc.). Canted stocks tend to push some of the recoil out rather than back. My A-Bolt in .300 Win Mag is like the Browning you tried, a pleasure to shoot.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I did read some time ago that all Ruger rifle stocks were straight with no cant to them........hmmmm.

I shoot a good bit, and the closest comparison between the 2 rifles felt like shooting a 7mm. Rem. Mag. and then a .300 Win. Mag.

I know "felt recoil" is subjective to every particular person. I'm NOT an overly recoil sensitive person. I honestly can't tell any difference between a .270, .30-06, or 7mm. Rem. Mag. most times......but that Ruger really tapped me!

Both rifles are listed with the same LOP. The Browning did have a nice palm swell.

Has anyone else noticed VERY noticable differences between 2 different rifles that were very similar???

I see a couple folks talking about their Remingtons hitting them as hard as their Rugers........
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Wouldn't the Ruger with the stiffer laminated (wood) stock kick more then a composite that would absorb some of the recoil?

I have a Ruger Mk II all-weather .300 win mag and can shoot it all day. I had a Ruger 77 wood stock .300 win mag years ago and that kicked much worse.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Were you in the same shooting position with both rifles, did you use the same rest, was the rest set at the same height? I have a 300 wby that if I have it an inch low makes be sore for a week compared to the 25+ rounds I can shoot if I have it at the right height.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Ruger 77 Ulta Lite in 30-06 and it kicks real hard especially with 180 gr loads as compared to other mfg guns in the same caliber I have shot. I always thought it was the weight but now I wonder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.