Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report >

.22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report

Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Spike

Default .22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report

A while back I bought a hollowpointer/accurizer tool. There were doubts expressed as to whether the modified bullets would perform.

I ran a 100 yard test. However, before we get to that test, let me walk you through the process of making the ammo.

Here are the components to the hollowpointer...

Fairly simple setup, but precise.

The first step is to put the round in the bottom block.

Assemble, and put on some sort of press - even a hammer will work.

Pull the handle...

... and a gaping hollowpoint (depending on depth settings) results.

But how do they perform?

They do shoot more accurately than unmodified ammo, but to the same point of aim. This is probably because they've been set to a standard size, and because the center of mass is further back. This is speculation however. I just know it works!

I set up four water jugs at 100 yards, and fired into them.

These are the results:

This is the first jug. It's pretty well shredded.

A line of all four jugs...

Here's a bullet I recovered from right beyond the fourth jug...

Two more stopped inside the fourth jug.

I believe the variation in penetration is due to the fact that I fired 10 rounds, and kept firing after the jugs were pretty well empty. I tried this test before with three jugs and failed to recover any. I therefore added a fourth jug and kept firing until empty to try to get a few decent samples.

This is a picture of the unmodified round, modified round, and the three bullets I was able to recover.

Keep in mind that this is CCI 40gn LRN I modified. Their website lists the velocities thus:

Muzzle 1235

50 yards 1092

75 yards 1040

100 yards 998

So, when the bullet impacted, it was acting as a heavy .22 short. Yet, it still expanded to over .36".

These are doing better than my old standby, Winchester Xpert, and are of course more consistent.

I'm impressed.

Josh <><
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am familiar with the accurizer but it still sends chills down my spine when we talk about rimfire ammo and hammers in the same context. I am interested in trying it on my press however.

In my "ill informed youth" many experiments were done that involved hammers and rimfire ammo......we're lucky we weren't killed.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Spike

I agree.

I would never recommend someone go beating on a live round with a hammer. Slowly in a press won't set it off.

It just pays to remember that the only things which will set off primers are hard, sharp blows and heat. Sometimes electricity, but standard primers are iffy on that.

I would recommend an arbor or reloading press.

Josh <><
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a cool way to do something different but I must be missing something here....

It seems like a whole lot of work to get a hollow point 22LR when you can easily buy them. Dozens of hollow point 22LR on the market so finding an accurate hunting round shouldn't be difficult.

If you want an accurate 22LR, I think Match Grade ammo is available from all the major players.

Like I said, I guess I'm just missing the point.

Last edited by popeye2; 11-05-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where'd ya get it and what'd cost.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by popeye2
Looks like a cool way to do something different but I must be missing something here....

It seems like a whole lot of work to get a hollow point 22LR when you can easily buy them. Dozens of hollow point 22LR on the market so finding an accurate hunting round shouldn't be difficult.

If you want an accurate 22LR, I think Match Grade ammo is available from all the major players.

Like I said, I guess I'm just missing the point.
Ditto. there are hundreds of rounds available, I must be missing something.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...do=ad&id=16162
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm

To much for me, I made my own. But they will shrink groups in half. Also a bigger hp delivers more energy to the game. A solid whack is heard on impact and the squirrel get's knocked a foot or so sideways before he falls. Not enough energy delivered to send a bunny flying, but puts them down quick. Also sounds like you hit a melon with a mallet. I shoot sub sonics and they mushroom to about 3/8" instead of staying .22.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You trying to say that 22 HP don't mushroom?

Tom
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by statjunk
You trying to say that 22 HP don't mushroom?

Tom

Yes they do not mushroom that large in low velocity ammo on squirrel. Exactly what I am trying to say.

Last edited by Bugflipper; 11-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.