Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg 500 .410 feed problems >

Mossberg 500 .410 feed problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 500 .410 feed problems

Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 500 .410 feed problems

I have a Model 500 .410 pump that feeds two shells at a time out of the magazine if I put more than one round in the tube. I can put one in the chamber and one in the magazine tube and use it fine as a two-shot, but if I try to put more in the magazine, it will double feed the rounds when I pump it. I contacted Mossberg and they had me send the gun back to them for repair. I am waiting to get it back now but was wondering if any of you have experienced that problem before and what you did to correct it?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm. First thing I'd do is make sure everything was clean and oiled. I haven't had this problem before, but I've had things not work cause of simple things like lack of oil.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Spike

after you make sure everything is cleaned and oiled your next step would be to go by a remington and give the mossberg to sombody you dont like very much:0
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Spike

Default Follow up to my original post

Just thought I would follow up on my original post. (FYI, I have had several Remingtons as well as Mossbergs, Stevens, Iver Johnson, and a Stoeger over the years and I have been fortunate enough for them to have all been good shotguns). This is the first problem I've ever had with any of them. Well, anyway, I sent the gun back to Mossberg about two weeks ago and got it back today in a new box with a new owner's manual, wooden dowel plugs (the works). The gun was clean and tight. Seems to work great now; I load the magazine full and it pumps all the rounds out just like it should. I didn't get an explanation of what they did to fix it, but I am very pleased with Mossberg's service in taking care of this customer. I would not hesitate to purchase another Mossberg product.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear that they took care of the problem in a timely manner. I've had a 500 in the .410 for many years now and still use it every year to shoot some doves. Mine still operates without a hitch, so hope yours stands the test of time from here on out.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brasmunky
after you make sure everything is cleaned and oiled your next step would be to go by a remington and give the mossberg to sombody you dont like very much:0
Better get this one on the old oil stone. Not too sharp.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a 835 ultimag once, but never again. It would not feed so I sent it back. The next one would feed but shot 2 feet low at 40 yards when I patterened. I sent it back again and they sent another new gun. I sold that gun for a loss and never looked back. Mossberg is in my opinion a waste of money. Ron
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Better get this one on the old oil stone. Not too sharp.
just to let you know i actually own a 1 mossburg and quite a few remingtons. the only reason i still own the mossburg is because i cant find anybody that wants that POS
Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Spike

Apparently this problem has been going on for a while. Mossberg is aware of it but hasn't done anything to remedy it. Bought mine new from academy the first week of Nov 2014. Did the exact same thing. Academy has a no return policy, even for factory defects. I took it to my local gun smith. He said the shell stops are off for some reason and he usually keeps a couple of sets in stock. Just my luck he didn't have any. I have talked to three different people from Mossberg, the latest one today. I have been promised each time that the parts would be sent to me FEDEX the next day. So far no parts. I own Remington, Winchester, and Benelli shotguns. All have been good right out of the box. The quality of this weapon, coupled with the pure lack of customer service makes me hesitant to buy or recommend Mossberg to anyone in the future.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just added a 500 410 to my collection this summer and I have had no issues,only shot about 30 shells through it so far.