Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
entrance/exit wound myth? >

entrance/exit wound myth?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

entrance/exit wound myth?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience it depends more upon what the bullet contacts once it hits the animal than anything else.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Assuming that the bullet exits the animal, then the ONLY way a bullet can make a smaller exit hole than entrance hole is if the bullet totally fragments and only a small piece exits the animal. Even with limited fragmentation the mushroomed bullet will be larger on exit than entry. In all other cases the exit hole will be larger than entrance hole.

If you are seeing exist holes that are smaller than entrance holes on a regular basis you should probably switch to a tougher bullet.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never paid that much attention but have noticed that certain bullets do better than others. I like the partition type bullets and the bullets in the Fusion ammuntion for weight retention. Usually, it is when I'm dressing the deer that I notice the exit wound.

More important to me is the tissue damage around the exit wound. That tells me more about the energy that is still left when it goes out the other side. More weight rentention equals more damage in my mind.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270
I have had entrance and exit wounds the same size and exit wounds larger before. So it really goes to each individual shot taken. If a bullet encounters bone it can not only expand larger but also blow debris out making the hole larger. Then on the other hand the skin of a deer is very strechy and will retract after a bullet exits. I had a buddy tell me he was having trouple with balistic tips not expanding when he shot several deer in the neck last year. Actually they did expand the hole just streched and close after the exit.
This pretty well sums it up......
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Site Bouncer

There are a few factors that come into play to determine the size of the exit wound. First would be bullet construction and second would be the resistance the bullet met while traveling through the animal. There are a couple other factors but I'll stick to these two for now.

A hard cast bullet through soft tissue will most likely make the same size hole going out as going it did going in. If it has to penetrate through thick muscle or bone then the exit hole will be larger as the bullet will be deformed by the time it exits the animal..

A soft point, hollow tip or ballistic tip bullet or any other bullet designed to expand with little resistance will produce a larger exit hole, These types of bullets are meant to expand so as to cause greater destruction and wound cavity to maximize their effectiveness.

Some other points were brought up by other members regarding certain anomalies that can occur with skin stretch and so forth. This has a lot to do with velocity (another factor) but they have been well covered and not as important as the points I listed so I'll leave it at that.

bullet construction and the amount of resistance are the two main factors for exit hole size
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Most of my experience has been with the 7mm Remington Magnum. Due to hunting location (both geography and terrain), I prefer a shot through the front shoulder and both shoulders if possible (I have never had a deer do anything but drop from that shot).

All entry wounds have been caliber sized. The exit wounds have varied in size from a respectable 5 inch diameter hole with Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, to a basketball size hole with 140 grain Core-lokts, to one deer nearly blown in two (only skin on the back and belly holding it together...deer fell in two pieces upon skinning) from a 160 grain Nosler Partition.

The 7mm RM is obviously overgunning for deer, but at least there is no arguement with the next guy around the hill because my deer do not run that far.

BTW--the distances for those wounds were 80 yards, 265 yards, and 65 yards respectively. I am currently using the Winchester BSTs.