Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right >

Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right

Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right

my mossberg 535 i was gifted (brand new) 2 christmases ago does not want to shoot worth a damn, we have bought 2 different sights, used lightfield slugs (among others), and i cant get a group in the money. My grandpa was a 51st infantry marksman and can hit a 5ftx3ft target at 600 yards with a peep sight on an m1 23/24 times...and not even he can get 3 in the 10x at 40 yards! The sights are perfect left and right, but they shoot 5 inches low, and there is no more room to move any sight any further up, were going to call mossberg to get an explanation pretty soon

-But does anyone have any knowledge on this or can someone help me, maybe a diagnosis on my problem?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right

If you are seeing good groups with the slugs you have tried, and the only problem is that they hit low of your point of aim, then you can solve the problem with a lower front sight or a higher back sight. You could change your sight picture I suppose, but that may not be comfortable for you. Many folks get the bead settled in the rear sight, and place the bead direclty under their desired point of impact (6 O'clock hold). If yousight that way, try covering the spot you want to hit with the front bead and it will raise your POI.

I have a 500 that has the front bead sight welded or soldered on. If your 535 has that kind of front sight, you really can't do much with it. A front post style sight can be filed down to raise the point of impact. There are probably some different rear sights you can install. The rear on my 500 in mounted in a dovetail slot, you drift it out to change it. Mossberg makes a peepsight, "ghost ring" or something like that. Might be worth a try. I have my rear sightas high as it will go, and luckily it hits right on at 75 yds, which is about my limit with open sights.

If nothing else works, try a slug that is moving SLOWER than those you've tried. Seems funny, but they will hit higher than faster slugs (within 100 yds or so), as they stay in the barrel longer and exit later during recoil.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 535 slug barrel not shooting right

The 535 is a 3.5" chamber, you should use 3" or 3.5" slug shells, DO NOT USE 2-3/4"