Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Shotguns Vs Remington >

Weatherby Shotguns Vs Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Shotguns Vs Remington

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weatherby Shotguns Vs Remington

So I was in bi-mart today and saw a nice looking synthetic Weatherby shotgun (semi-aunto) for $420. Good looking gun and a pretty good price. Ive heard wonderful things about weatherby's rifles but not too much about the shotguns. I know I am going to decide on one soon but my other alternative right now is a Remington 11-87. I know this is a tried and true gun that will not fail...just not too sure how much it cost. So I most likely will be going with the Remingtonunless I find a real gooddeal on something else or unless this weatherby is a crazy nice gun...But Ihavent heard much about it and wanted to know what yallknow bout the gun?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weatherby Shotguns Vs Remington

No one here has shot a Weatherby shotgun?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Spike

Weatherby has these shotguns (SA-08) made in Turkey for them. I don't know the quality but I've seen them advertised for around $500, so the price seems good. I'd think the Remington is the better gun, but they are probably more money as well. Sorry I can't help you more. You may try and do a search for the SA-08 shotgun and see what turns up.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Stiofan

Weatherby has these shotguns (SA-08) made in Turkey for them. I don't know the quality but I've seen them advertised for around $500, so the price seems good. I'd think the Remington is the better gun, but they are probably more money as well. Sorry I can't help you more. You may try and do a search for the SA-08 shotgun and see what turns up.
Agree and I personally would stay away from anything built by Weatherby. JMO [:'(]
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agree and I personally would stay away from anything built by Weatherby. JMO
Weatherby does not built their own guns,they are built by contractors.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Remington makes shotguns, and has made reliable, time proven designs like the 870, 1100, and 11-87 for decades. Weatherby does not. I'd consider the Remington 11-87.

I've seen some Beretta AL390's at Wal Mart with synthetic stocks for around $550 or so. Those are great guns for a very good price. If you can get your hand on one of those 390's, and it feels and fits you well, I'd recommend one of those.

However, at the end of the day, get a shotgun that fits you. If it does not, you'll be very unsatisfied, regardless of how much you paid, or how much you liked the brand.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look on the shotgun forum and check the Weatherby/turkish for feedback. Compare it to Remington 11-87 feedback. I'm betting the track record of the 11-87 will draw you to it instead of the unproven turkish made Weatherby design.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks guys! I was leaning toward the Remington anyway.

Has anyone heard any good about the charles daly shotguns?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the Weatherby model. The newer SA-08 are an unproven design. They are light in weight and seem to be decent but time will tell. I like the SASodel they replaced much better.

The SAS model on the other hand is a far better model than the 11-87. They stoped making the SAS about a year ago after about ten years or so of production. It's an underated model to say the least and as good as the more expensive models.

The SAS was made for the first couple of years by SKB in Japan. They still make it under their own brand but, it's not available to the US market. Quality is better than the 11-87 and weighs less with a more netural balance point. It also has a magazine cutoff feature and cycles lighter loads better. They also go much longer between cleanings compared to the 11-87.

Valtro from Italy made them for the rest of the time. They were a little lighter yet and balanced with more weight towards the stock. A common trait for Itialian auto loading shotguns. They cycle light loads, are well made, go longer periods between cleanings, have a magazine cutoff, and shims to adjust the stock. It also has it's recoil spring around the magazine tube making it easier to clean and one of the easier auto loaders to clean.

The 11-87 has fallen out of favor over many of the newer and more updated models. The mentioned Beretta 390 Wal Mart is the best value in todays market. The Bretta 3901 can be found at a similar price as can the Browning Silver, Franchi 712, Winchester SX2. Even the Browning Gold can be had for some good deals as they are being replaced by the new Maxus.