Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Vise?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Gun Vise?

I'm interested in buying a gun vice for sighting in guns and mounting scopes. What is a good gun vice to buy at a reasonable price? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Vise?

I would never mount a rifle in a vise to sight in. Not only will it likely cause your POI to shift when fired without the vise (because the rifle cannot naturally recoil in a vise), but if the rifle is in a hard kicking cartridge, it is possible to crack or break your stock because the stock takes 100% of the recoil energy because in the vise it can't move. I've heard similar things about the Cauldwall Lead Sled shooting rest if the used puts too much weight on the tray. A vise is useful for cleaning and working on a rifle, but for sighting in and benchrest shooting you're far better off with just sandbags, a bipod or a front pedestal rest with a rabbit ear rear bag.

Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would never mount a rifle in a vise to sight in. Not only will it likely cause you POI to shift after when fired without the vise (because the rifle cannot naturally recoil in a vise), but if the rifle is in a hard kicking cartridge, it is possible to crack or break your stock because the stock takes 100% of the recoild energy and because if the vise it can't move. I've heard similar things about the Cauldwall Lead Sled shooting rest if the used puts too much weight on the tray. A vise is useful for cleaning and working on a rifle, but for sighting in and benchrest shooting you're far better off with just sandbags, a bipod or a front pedestal rest with a rabbit ear read bag.
+1
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

+2.

For sighting in I use Caldwell sand bags.

For a cleaning and maintenance vice I like Tiptons.They arevery versatile and relatively inexpensive.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

+3. Tom.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

+2.

For sighting in I use Caldwell sand bags.

For a cleaning and maintenance vice I like Tiptons.They arevery versatile and relatively inexpensive.

+4.......Get a good steady front rest and rear rest like driftrider suggested. Stay away from any vise-like device for shooting from. Do yourself and your gun a favor.
The Tipton stations are a good bet for the money for gun cleaning and scope mounting.