Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quietest deer gun/caliber >

Quietest deer gun/caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quietest deer gun/caliber

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quietest deer gun/caliber

I'd like a new deer gun that will give me a range of 100-125 yards, and I'd like it to not be so noisy in order to preserve my hearing. What are some guns and ammo choices that don't make a lot of noise that will cleanly kill a small-medium size deer out to those distances?

thanks,
ths78

I don't like hunting with earmuffs on, so that's why i'd like to get a quieter gun.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quietest deer gun/caliber

Any firearmlegal for deer huntingcan harm your hearing. See if hunting with electronic ear muffs is legal in your area. Even if you don't like ear muffs, they willhelp to protect your hearing. There are some new non-electronic ear protection systems (not ear muffs)that are also suppose to help. If a 357 Mag, 357 Maximum, or 44 Mag are legal, theyMAY help to lose LESS hearing.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM

You could just use ear plugs or get something like Walker's Game Ear. they would protect your hearing and they are out of the way.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like something on the order of Walker's Game Ear is absolutely necessary. They're cheaper than a rifle/scope/setup AND let you hear EVEN BETTER than naked hearing while preserving hearing upon firearm discharges.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

i know it is;nt a 257 Weatherby magnum
Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

put an ear plug in 1 ear closest to the barrel end, ie your left ear if you're shooting right handed.

or electronic muffs.

or 2 ear plugs, they make them on a string so they can sit around your neck.

See if a silencer is legal in your area..., I read somewhere that in many states they're legal, which there ya go if that's the case!

If not, I think something like a 7mm-08, .308, .243 is your best bet.

What am I thinking? a .30-30 is probably the way to go! I tend to associate less powder/case size with less noise, perhaps I'm wrong in this thinking, but if that's the case, a .30-30 would be perfect, and certainly will get the job done out to 200 or 300yds now with those new hornady 160grs.

A muzzlebreak will increase muzzle blast/noise.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even a 22 LR will damage your hearing if you don't wear ear protection of some kind. The 7.62X39mm is pretty mild.........
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

300 whisper maybe...dont know if its quiet...but it came to mind because "whisper" is part of its name lol......

i know im probably foolish but other than groundhog hunting and high volume shooting like dove hunting, i dont wear anything....

at the range i always do...

but normal hunting i dont...

heck groundhog hunting i used to not wear anything till i bought the 22-250...my ears are still ringing...i know ive damaged my ears a bit...and now that im older and smarter i amd starting to wear hearing protection more and more...never used to wear it dove hunting or anything...

definently a smart choice...but you arent likely to find anything that wont damage hearing...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Consider bow hunting and maybe guns are not for you.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't know of any "quiet" deer rifles/guns. It's just not part of powder explosions.....
The only "quiet" guns I could possibly think of may be owned by "Mafia" types........

Quick Reply: Quietest deer gun/caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.