Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Indiana Handgun Owners >

Indiana Handgun Owners

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Indiana Handgun Owners

Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Indiana Handgun Owners

I have heard that you have to have your handgun concealed to carry, even when you have a personal protection permit but it doesn't make since to me. Is this true? I have been trying to find where it states this under Indiana Law but I can't find anything. If you know can you show me where you found the law at, thanks!!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Handgun Owners

In other words, can you carry non-concealed or open carry a handgun in Indiana

Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

handgunlaws.us might be of some help
Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I recall correctly, in In, if you have an concealed carry license, you CAN carry concealed OR open. Perhaps an In resident will clarify more.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM

It's called a License to Carry a Handgun (LCH). State laws do not specify that it must be concealed. The license itself states: "...to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee..."
Old 02-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nanook85

It's called a License to Carry a Handgun (LCH). State laws do not specify that it must be concealed. The license itself states: "...to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee..."
This is correct. There use to be a statement in the hunting regs that read if huntgun hunting the weapon couldn't be concealed, but that has changed in the last couple of years, now that you can carry while bow hunting, for protection purposes.
One other good piece of advise. If you have one concealed and you are pulled over for a traffic violation and or checked in the field by a conservation officer about your hunting license "Always announce to that officer (Up Front) that you are carrying and have one!" They don't like surprises at all!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i first got mine many years ago,they told me they would like it betterif youconceal it.That way it does not
cause any problems if somebody seen it.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

When i first got mine many years ago,they told me they would like it betterif youconceal it.That way it does not
cause any problems if somebody seen it.
I don't know Indiana's law, but before you do anything it would be a very good idea to find out for sure. It might save you a lot of hassle, and maybe even revocation of your permit, a big fine, and/or jail time.

The purpose of concealed carry is to avoid causing panic. It has been a long time since men routinely carried a sidearm openly. In those days nobody thought twice about someone carrying a revolver, unless they knew that person to be of ill repute. Today, with the exception of law enforcement and hunting, openly carrying a weapon is rare and has become somewhat taboo. There are always those folks that will simply flip out if they see a gun carried by a civilian, and when they call 911 to report you because you accidently flashed your holstered pistol, they WILL respond and you will have to explain yourself. Some states even have a law, usually a simple misdemenor, simply for failing to adequately conceal the gun. Other states have open carry as well, so you can carry openly if you want, but it'd still be better IMO, both from a public perception and a tactical standpoint, to carry concealed.

Mike