Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 REMMINGTON 770 >

REMMINGTON 770

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

REMMINGTON 770

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default REMMINGTON 770

Any one have any experience with the Rem 770....as far as the quality and accuracy of this gun? i know they aint no 700ADL but them is way out of my price range...just lookin for some opinions on them
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REMMINGTON 770

Champ,
personally, I have only fired this gun at the range. It was someone elses. I did not like the action or the trigger. There have also been many people on this site that have spoken negatively about this gun.

My suggestion would be to do some research on this gun before you make the purchase.

In a similar price range, if not the same price range, i would look at the Savage line with the accutriger. I own one of these guns and can say the seem to be made of much better quality.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay away from remington 710/770s. To begin with,the barrels are pinned in like an inexpensive .22,the bolt rides in plastic sleeve(except locking lugs),they have been plagued with recalls,and are of so poor design I refuse to carry them. The bolt setup will only last X number of times before it gets extremely hard to operate. If you're that tight budgeted,go with a stevens model 200 or a marlin bolt action.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quality - Horrible and plastic

Accuracy - Mediocore crap shoot

Other Guns In The Same Price Range - Savage Model 11 & 111, Mossberg ATR 100, Weatherby Vanguard, Marlin XL7, Stevens 200, Tikka T3, Howa 1500. all better than the 770.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

PLEASE do yourself a favor and stay away from remington 710/770s. To begin with,the barrels are pinned in like an inexpensive .22,the bolt rides in plastic sleeve(except locking lugs),they have been plagued with recalls,and are of so poor design I refuse to carry them. The bolt setup will only last X number of times before it gets extremely hard to operate. If you're that tight budgeted,go with a stevens model 200 or a marlin bolt action.

.........Or........Check the used gun racks at the gunshops or gunshows in your area for a good used 700. They're lots of them out there, particularly long actions. SA's are a little harder to find.... Prices are usually decent.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, the Model 700 is the one of the best rifles out there for the money, but the 770 is junk. I don't know what remington was thinking with that one, and I'm more confused as to why they still even make it. It's an embarrassment to their other, good quality rifles.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember a time long ago (not for some),when remington brought out a rifle intended to be a more economical option to the 700 and it actually turned out to be an excellent rifle that actually proved to be more accurate than the 700 to remington's embarrassment. That rifle was the model 788 multiple lug rear locking action,of which I still own 3. I'm sorry to say remington's attempts in the 710/770 FAILED miserably however as they are worse than the cheapest savage,marlin,or mossberg offerings,which shoot VERY well considering their price range and are reliable-unlike the remington 710/770.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Spike

I was in the same boat as you and I purchased the Remington 710(30-06) when it first came out. I cannot say that I have had any bad luck with it as it has taken down everything I have shot at. I will say that I am very disappointed in the lack of after market upgrades available for this weapon. I see a bias in many ways towards this rifle and many other low end hunting rifles. I couldn't afford an $800 rifle when I purchased and as life would have it I still cannot. I would however like to maybe put a little bit into this when I do have a littleto try to make it a better gun for me, but as I have looked around to try this I have found that no one seems to want to provide any upgrades for it to try to improve it. I personally would like to get a thumbhole stock for it and maybe even do something to reduce the kick of it as I have had to havemultiple shoulder surgeries since I purchased this rifle. As for those of you out there that would tell me to sell it and get a 700, well I would but I can't afford the extra $400 on top of tradeing this in the gun stores I have been to want for one.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Stay away from the 770 or 710. IN fact, look at Marlin xl7. Great gun for the money. I just got one myself and it's fantastic. Have a savage too and that is under $350 as well and its smooth and accurate. There are just so many better choices to be honest.

right now you can get a marlin XL7 for about $289. Can't beat that for this gun. You can get a package Savage for under $400 with a cheap scope and sling. The 710/770 is a joke. Remington can do better than this. In fact this gun should sell for about $99 IMO and not $300+ with some of the competitions offerings.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Face it,Remington actually designed these rifles as disposable. The best thing you could do is to sell it & buy an Marlin XL-7.

ORIGINAL: srgav1n
I was in the same boat as you and I purchased the Remington 710(30-06) when it first came out. I cannot say that I have had any bad luck with it as it has taken down everything I have shot at. I will say that I am very disappointed in the lack of after market upgrades available for this weapon. I see a bias in many ways towards this rifle and many other low end hunting rifles. I couldn't afford an $800 rifle when I purchased and as life would have it I still cannot. I would however like to maybe put a little bit into this when I do have a littleto try to make it a better gun for me, but as I have looked around to try this I have found that no one seems to want to provide any upgrades for it to try to improve it. I personally would like to get a thumbhole stock for it and maybe even do something to reduce the kick of it as I have had to havemultiple shoulder surgeries since I purchased this rifle. As for those of you out there that would tell me to sell it and get a 700, well I would but I can't afford the extra $400 on top of tradeing this in the gun stores I have been to want for one.