Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R Ultra Slug Hunter >

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Im interested in this gun in 20 gauge.does anyone have experience with it or ever shot it?i currently have a mossberg 500 slugster 12 ga.but want a less punishing gun on my shoulder but with accuracy.is a 150 yard shot to far forthe ultra or unlikely?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default RE: H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

im baisicly looking for a long range slug gun that doesnt cost s ton.any suggestons?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think with the right ammo your mossy 500 might be able to do 150 yards. i would spend the money on getting the barrel ported and a sims recoil pad installed if the kick is bothering you. mossberg does barrel porting pretty cheap and i believe sims sells a pre-fit recoil pad. http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID=496&section=access have you tried the honady sst slugs? http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=423385
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ultra Deluxe in 20ga, using Hornady SST slugs, this shot gun is a tack driver, but with the right ammo combo your Mossberg 500 will shoot well
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddy has the H&R slug gun in 20 gauge - great gun! Very little recoil and extremely accurate with Lightfield slugs. I know he's taken deer out to 120 yards with it, but I'm sure 150+ yards is possible with the right ammo. I'd give it a thumbs-up!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Long range slug guns...they are called muzzleloaders....

I had a Mossberg 500 here past few seasons.....IM DONE WITH THAT PILE...lol

It shoots ok at best and ive tried numerous different sabot rounds as well as scopes. Out past 75 yrds your throwing out a prayer withmy 500. I WAS going to get an H&R 12gauge here for the shotgun season, but opted out and bought myself a CVA Accura Stainless and mounted up the 2-7x32 Prostaff on it. Nice setup and best part is deadly accurate...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM

h&r 20 gauge is the deal 150 yard shot no problem. best slug gun i ever owned
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM

i bought my wife one last year. this year she killed a deer with it at 150 yards. now i own one too
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Intresting that you are asking now about H&R USHs - especially the 20 gauge. I usually use my 12 gauge USH Deluxe and am as happy as could be. I used to use a Mossy 500 12 gauge with the smooth bore rifled sight slug barrel. I bought that as a combo at Sears years ago. I still have the 159.00 receipt I the old box. Could go good to about 75 yards with Sluggers and I killed alot of deer with that gun. Then I bought the USH 12 and have never looked back, buying another in 20 gauge for one of my sons. (There will most likely be more added too - I have 3 boys.)

When a nephew needed a slug gun I put a Mossberg cantilever/ported barrel on that sameMossy 500 and it shoots BuckHammers very well. Deer to 100 yards should beware.

For some reason or another I took the 20 USH out for last day of our late deer season. Guess I just wanted to try something other than my 12. Sitting at the base of a tree with a shooting stick I took a doe at just over 150 yards out in a bean field and she dropped right down. (She gotback up a few seconds later to take a couple drunken steps but then dropped for good). Full pass thru.

During 1st season I shot another at 190 yards with my 12 and I'll tell you that Brenneke 3" Mag tore that deer up.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

there is someone on here...who set up an H&R and I think he is making 200yard shots now....I may be wrong but I think that was the range....He is doing some great shooting with it, hopefully he posts here. But yes, set up right, its a great gun!
-Jake

Quick Reply: H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.