Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope mounts for WWII mauser >

Scope mounts for WWII mauser

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope mounts for WWII mauser

Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope mounts for WWII mauser

I'd like to hunt deer next year with my grandpa's M98 WWII era 8mm mauser. What scope mount/base do I need to get?

thank you,
ths78
Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Scope mounts for WWII mauser

heres a thought... why ruin it by putting a scope on it? I occasionally use a 1936 Mosin-Nagant. Shoot it and get good open site, and try and get one with it all original. It's a great challenge. If you need the scope, Im sure it will need to be an offset mount.. not positive, but it probably won't be a normal scope mount and rings.
-Jake
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A scout mount might work for you- they usually cost around $75 for a decent one, and are easy to install- remove the rear sight leaf, and attach the mount to the rear sight base. You'll need a pistol or shotgun type long eye relief scope. No drilling/ tapping required.
Something to think about when mounting a scope to an old mauser get the rifle appraised before drilling/tapping for a scope- you might be turning a $1000 rifle into a $100 rifle in a minute's time if the rifle is in original condition when the drill hits the receiver.

S&K makes about the best scout mounts for mausers.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instaprice.html
Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won't be able to mount a regular set of mounts on it unless the bolt handle's been altered. If the gun hasn't already been "sporterized", and is in good condition, and all the serial numbers match, I'd say you've got a collector's item and you'll have to think hard about modifying it. If it has been "bubba-ed" or the serial numbers don't match, Id say go ahead and have a gunsmith modify it and put regular mounts on it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the Leupold/Redfield Jr. type of base & rings(the one with the windage screws on the rear of the base) on many Mausers with satisfaction. You will need to have the bolt handle altered to clear the scope as well as install a low-scope type of safety lever.

I tried the "scout scope" setupon a military Mauser, and did NOT like it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

E-Bay has real WWII scope mts and period scopes but unless you won the State Lottery go with plan "B".What is the year and manufacturer code on the gun?Do the serial #'s all match?Has your stock been altered?Unless it's not been permanently altered and original it may be more or an heirloom than a collector piece.The cost of sporterizing nowadays is more than a new gun.Timney/Bold trigger drill +tap and bolt rewelding likely $200 or more.Harold
Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Like others have said, if it a 100% gun in good to like new shape, DONT mess with it, worth more as a military gun than a halfa#s sporter. The aftermarket scope mounts that take place of the rear sight suck also, never hold zero, Ive tried three different brands, they all suck!. Unless you plan on a full custom rifle, which will run 600.00 at the way low end "nothing very impressive" and the sky is the limit on the upper end, I just wouldnt do it!. To start, the rear portion of the receiver needs to be cut down "area for the stripper clip", thats going to run around 60.00 + finishing, next drilling and tapping the receiver, thats around30.00 a hole, reforging or welding ona new bolt handle, 60.00 to 125.00 + more than likely some stock inletting, fitting and installing a safety to clear the scope 50 to 175.00 depending on the style of safety + the cost of the safety plus the cost of the scope bace, rings and scope. For that money, you can go to an auction sight like www.gunbroker.com and find a rifle set up with a scope and come out way ahead.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The aftermarket scope mounts that take place of the rear sight suck also, never hold zero, Ive tried three different brands, they all suck!.
Yes and no. S&K and Darrel's mounts are solid if you locktite everything down and won't move- very good mounts but they aren't cheap. Pretty much everything else is complete junk.
Not a fan of scout mounts either- they are the proverbial horse designed by a committee.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Devil Dog, most scope mounts that are for model 98's take into account the stripper hump, but after that your right it's drill and tap and do a turn down on the bolt unless you go with a scout mount. I've got to see if I can stir the pot here,it’s his gun and if he wants to modify it to suit his use then it's his to do with as he see's fit. To me a "collector" is not worth the space it takes up in MY gun safe, now if someone else wants to keep something as is that's fine and I respect their decision to do so but ALL my mausers (around 10 or so) have turned down bolts, scope mounts 2 still have the original barrels 8 x 57 cut to 22" and recrowned, they all are in synthetic stocks and all are usable in the woods. They have been re barreled from to 7.62 x 39, 243, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, 270, 308 and oh yea 30-06. I even have a 8mm 06. To be fair I will admit that if I had left them in the original condition, they would have more resell value, but I don’t plan on selling them.