Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 04-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ruger 96 44 mag lever for deer?

I picked up a Marlin lever 44 mag a couple years ago. So far I haven' t been impressed with the performance. I tried the winchester semi-jacketed flat points and then the remington premier core lokts(fancy hollow points). The deer went down just not real fast at all. This year I am going to roll my own. I' m going to try either the Hornady XTP or the speer gold dots. I agree that these little lever actions are just too fun of a gun to not try and get them to work.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

i just picked up one of the new ruger semi auto carbine' s and i agree fully that it is a sweet handling rifle!!!. so far all i;ve shot is targets but it;s groupin good,, i;m going to try it this year, and although i;d use a quality hollowpoint outta my pistol i;m going to think that it might expand a bit too fast out of a rifle, i;d love to shoot cast bullets but the lead and lube will foul up my gas action, but you guys can with your lever actions. i;m gonna try both this year and see how they compare, soft point vs hollow point.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have shot three deer with the 44 mag two with a 5 inch revolver and one with a 14 inch TC all three bit the dirt in very short order. I like the 265 grain and the 300 grain Hornadys by far the best.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It REALLY REALLY REALLY pains me to say this, but I don' t care for the Ruger lever guns, they' re just TOO ugly! (I love Ruger, their arms are almost the only rifles and hanguns I shoot anymore, but not their lever actions!!!!) They' re accurate as need be, and probably as much so as any, so don' t think that you' re settling on a sub-par arm.

As for the .44mag as a round, I hope you reload, because unless you want to buy high powered rounds for $35 a 50-box, you won' t get the full potential out of that gun. Factory loads are fine for deer, don' t mistake that, but they are fairly light for rifles, the advantages of higher powered rounds is pretty great. I typically shoot .44mag in a Marlin 1894 or a Ruger Superblackhawk, both handle very hot loads and I trust both to take deer out to 150yrds (75yrds max on the handgun, no glass on it and factory sights) Load all lead bullets in your rifle and watch what they can do, there' s something about cast bullets that sure knocks the tar out of em. I used an old Ruger deerfield carbine years back that was a real power hitter, I' d imagine that it should shoot very similarly to your levergun. I almost ALWAYS use cast or swaged lead bullets, they give the best results in my opinion, with jacketed bullets you get irregular expansion or none at all, varying per shot. I' ve had batches of lead bullets that I water tested give less than 2% variance average in expanded diameter, and the three slugs I pulled from deer (or the dirt beyond) that year were within this range as well. Not too bad in my eyes.

In my opinion, in handgun/carbiner cartridges, the .44mag is the .30-06 equivalent, some might consider it light for the biggest of game, but I beg to differ, experience has taught me well.

For example, my dad used to use his .44mag 1894 Marlin for putting down sick buffalo on my great-grandpa' s farm, you don' t really want to get close to a sick buffalo, because they can do a WHOLE LOT of damage to you and your horse, so he' d set up with hot loads at 75-100yrds (bison can almost out sprint a horse and for three times farther at least, let alone when he' s mounted), my uncle would tell him every time ta move around behind him and try to catch him behind the ear, " na, na, just never you mind," as he' d plug on into it' s forehead, and in all the times I saw that happen, I only saw one need a second helping and they never had one get close to them after the shot either (obviously these weren' t Cast slugs, or softpoints, but I don' t know what they were for sure, " Wild Bill" the neighbor was loading them for him).

As for factory ammo, I' d go for Winchester Super-X 240gr (or is it 230--->too lazy to go check the boxes right now, sorry) semi-jacketed softpoints, they hit like trucks and don' t on your pocketbook ($15 for 50). I used them this year in my 1894marlin, dropped a deer like a sack of potatoes at 123yrds.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

another thing that i;ve been reading up on alot, it intrigued me so much i did more research, is casting bullets of two different " hardnesses" , a soft nose for expansion and a hardcast for penetraiton, from what i;ve read it;s lookin cool. i;m gonna try it for my 30 30 and my 44mag handgun but not the rifle cause of the gas action clogging
Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Otis, I bought a Winchester model 94 44 Mag. this year. I have not shot a deer with it but it shoots like a dream at the range. I looked around for bullets and the ones that impressed me the most was the Corbon 240 Grain bullets. The bullets that Corbon has are +P and have 350 ft/smore speed (1,500 ft/sec.) and 400 ft/lbs. (1,200 ft/lbs) more knockdown than the Winchester 240 grain bullets. The bullets cost me $23 for a box of 20 with shipping included.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:10 AM

I have a 44mag Ruger Deerfield. This year I took a nice doe with factory winchester 240 grain Jacketed soft points. It seem to do the job quite well at 100 yards. Two shots, first one through the lungs, and a quick follow up shot right through the neck that left a substantion exit wound. I love this guns, but I plan on getting a 270 or 308 bolt for a longer distant gun and use my deerfield as my walking and stalking gun, which it is suberb for.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]