Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What groupings do you shoot? >

What groupings do you shoot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What groupings do you shoot?

Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default What groupings do you shoot?

Here' s a question for all you hunters/shooters. I' m sighting in my 7mm Rem. Mag. right now with my 3.5-10X44 Zeiss Conquest. I' m expecting a group of 1.5" @ 200 yds. and 3" @ 300 yds. Is that reasonable for those distances and this type of scope/gun combination? What do you guy' s sight in for at 200 & 300 yds? I had a 1.5" (5 shot grouping) with my .22 WMR @ 100 yds and I' m very happy with that. Comments....
Old 04-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What groupings do you shoot?

I don' t think that' s too unreasonable. I like to shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards which translates to 2" @ 200, 3" @ 300 and so on. Don' t expect to get tight groups like that on the first try though, it might take some experimenting with different factory loads or hand loads. Also don' t expect your favorite hunting bullet to shoot the best out of your rifle. My 270 will shoot 130 core lokts into .75" or less all day but I will not use them to hunt elk with. I can usually get right about 1m.o.a. with most bullets but some just won' t shoot worth a flip. Just keep trying till you get that right load wether it be factory or your own.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My deer gun...a Rem 760 in .270....shoots about 2" groups at 100 yards, and that' s wonderful by me.

I have a 223 that shoots nearly hole-in-hole groups at 100yds (if I do my job)

It takes a good combo of bullet/shooter/conditions to get great groups. For hunting, groups aren' t as important as they are if you' re punching paper. Just make sure you can put them in the kill zone each time, and be happy!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you handload ,are prepared to spend time developing a load ,and are lucky enough to have a better than average factory rifle or a custom.you are being realistic.If you use factory loads or have an average or poorer than average rifle you may be disappointed.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am a very poor group shooter and can,t do a good gun justice. For some reason the one exception is my 6.5x55 mauser. It is a surplus rifle and still wears the military stock. I had the bolt handle bent and had it drilled and tapped for scope bases. I also installed a Timney trigger. The trigger is set at about two lbs and there is no felt movement during the trigger pull.The bore in this rifle looks like new. My first load was with 140 grain Hornady bullets. The group was a bit under 5/8 of an inch and I have never changed a thing since. I sight it about 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. It has a thirty year old Redfield 2x7 tracker scope on it. My loads chronograph at 2760 fps. I think the secret of it accuracy is the weight of the rifle, the excellent trigger and the exceptional accuracy of the caliber itself. All of the Sewdish mauser bores I have looked at are like new.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds possible to me, just depends how much thought and how lucky you are on choosing ammo. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 AM

It' s possible, but I' ve shot more rifles that wouldn' t do it than would.

I wouldn' t get to caught up in what I read on the net. Groups size has this strange habit of shrinking when someone either posts or tells about it. When you' re there to witness them the groups never seem as tight as what the owner claimed. In other words people seem to stretch the truth a good bit when they' re telling about how accurate their rifle is. I' ve shot hundreds of different of rifles off a benchrest over the years and can tell you that most factory sporter weight rifles won' t shoot an 1" at 100 yards, yet everybody on the net shoots 1" or better.

By the way, did I tell you guys about my Remchester 22-338? It' s shoots 1/4" to 1/2" at 200 yards. I haven' t gotten around to working up any handloads yet.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

In theory it is very much possible. But there are many varibles beyond ones control in shooting sub-MOA groups at to 200yds and 300yds. To shoot sub-MOA groups at those ranges requires a good shooting rifle and a skilled and knowledgeble shooter. Most of the time when a rifle is capable of sub-MOA groups at 100yds, it' s the shooter who can' t duplicate it at 200yds and 300yds, not the rifle.

If you want a MOA or sub-MOA rifle out to 300yds, have it accurized by a good gunsmith, do extensive experimenting with various loads, bullet weights/brands/styles, maunfactures, etc., or even handload your own, and then practice at those ranges.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

If you can shoot around an 1' ' group at 100yds be happy with the gun and the ammo. Even a 11/2' ' is good enough for hunting purposes such as deer. Zeak
Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

All good advice! The only thing I would change is 5 shot to 3 shot groups for big game hunting! Good Luck...

Quick Reply: What groupings do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.