Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?) >

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Yesterday, I went out to the skeet range with my daughter, herboyfriend, and another friend of theirs. I brought my skeet thrower and my Remington 870 Express 12GA which in perfect condition and doesn't have any problems - mine is a few years old and nicely broken in.

Anyway this friend of theirs brought a totally brand new (right out of the box) Remington 870 Express 12GA, which he bought just after Thanksgiving- and has never shot it before.

I ended upshowing the young guy a few things about 870's, showed him mine (mine iswood, his is synthetic), and whatnot.

When we were blasting clays out of the air, he kept having problems over and over and over. His brand new 870 Express was jamming (failing to eject), not once, butalmost every single time he went to eject the spent shell. I went over to help him and saw how the spent shell was stuck in the barrel and the slide was real real hard to move. You had to slam the butt stock on your boot or on the ground to get the spent shell to eject.

Then I asked him if I could really check it out, and opened up the slide, reached in with my finger and could feel roughness all over inside the throat of the barrel. It wasn't exactly smooth, polished, and clean.

Anyway, I told him he either needs to take it back where he bought it, or, if he has good skills, he could clean up the throat of the barrel with gun oil and 0000 steel wool, or take it to a gunsmith.

WHAT HAS HAPPEND TO REMINGTON'S QUALITY CONTROL?!?!? [:'(]

My 870 Express 12GA doesn't have a problem in the world. It never jams and functions perfectly fine with any type of ammo I feed it.

Anyone else heard of issues with the brand new Remington 870 Express 12GA ????

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

This is one of the first bad things ive heard about the 870. Id have the gun sent back to Remington. They are a better company than that. Id first call Remington and tell them the problems in great detail, so they will get the idea that something is wrong.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot it right out of the box? First thing I would have done was take it completly down and clean it as soon as I got it. I always clean a new gun first thing.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

This is a pretty common issue with the 870 express. The rough chamber causes all sorts of ejection failures and/or rough cycling of the action.

A bronze brush with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around it, chucked into a drill and lubed with a decent oil will do the trick.

Yeah, I know, a new Remington shouldn't have to have this done to it but once that is done, it is all the problems you will probably ever have with it.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure it wasn't the ammo?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Spike

I had the same problem about 18 months ago when I bought mine. A hundred rounds or so and the problem went away.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2FNSLO

I had the same problem about 18 months ago when I bought mine. A hundred rounds or so and the problem went away.
ditto,shoot some rounds through. problem should go away
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Shot it right out of the box? First thing I would have done was take it completly down and clean it as soon as I got it. I always clean a new gun first thing.
Correct! That and the "break in" thing too. You don't take abrand new, never run engine and red line it do you?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had that same problem when i first bought my 870 but haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
bigcountry

Remington has been turning out turds for 8 years now. Friends I hunt with bought brand new 1187's slug guns, and jams every shot. It won't lift the shell up. Bolt is so rough it gets binded up. I have had two 1187's and an 1100 from the 80's and 90s and no problems.

I have had littlerly dozens of 700's. And never had a problem with any until 2002. Rough barrels, bad fitting between barrels and stocks, crowns out of round. I am done with remington until they clean thier act up a tad.

Quick Reply: Remington 870 Express (What happend to Remington?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.