Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bolt Action Slug Gun >

Bolt Action Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Action Slug Gun

Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bolt Action Slug Gun

Heres the deal. I have a place in WV and North Eastern PA where I can use a rifle. My typical hunting locally is all done in WMU 2B In Pittsburgh, PA.

I currently own a Mossberg 500 which is not the greatest gun in the world for slug hunting, but has served me ok the past few years, but the trigger pull is terrible. Im only 25 and cannot justify a $2000 Tar Hunt or even a $1000 Ithica Deer Slayer, but I am looking for a gun just to be used as a stand alone Slug Gun for whitetail.

H&R seems to have the edge on this forum but is only a single shot. I have seen the savage 210 slug warrior and was wondering if that was a good shooting gun?

Im tryin to find something that can put together some accuracy and isnt going to break my bank. Next question is should i get a 12 or 20gauge.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bolt Action Slug Gun

Carpetbagger - I know that $1000 for an Ithaca seems like a lot, but I absolutely love my Deerslayer. Have you browsed around a little bit? Occasionally I run across a decent Deerslayer on Gunbroker. Most of the used ones on there look pretty rough right now though...

Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just an idea but why not have your local gunsmith to tune the trigger up,and buy a cantilever fully rifled barrel for your 500? With the money you save,you can get a good quality scope that you would have never been able to afford after buying another gun. Also you'll have money left over to buy several different kinds of slugs-even premium slugs to see which is most accurate from YOUR slug gun. There's bunches of barrels and accs available to fit your present gun.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

I have seen the savage 210 slug warrior and was wondering if that was a good shooting gun?

Im tryin to find something that can put together some accuracy and isnt going to break my bank.
This one of two-three shots groups fired at 100yds by me two weeks while rechecking my zero after removing my scope to do some work on my 210, (the other measured 1.8")....I think the results speak for themselves.

If you want any additional info on the gun drop me a line...

JC

Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have the fully rifled cantilever barrel and nikon 2-7 x 32 prostaff on the gun right now...its satisfactory shooting at best with the hornaday sst sabots.

A trigger job is an absolute must. I think after this season I am going to have a trigger job done to the 500 and my Model 700 270 and go from there.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be willing to bet that once you get a good trigger on it,you're groups will improve a lot. It's mighty hard to shoot any firearm with a heavy stiff trigger.

I have the fully rifled cantilever barrel and nikon 2-7 x 32 prostaff on the gun right now...its satisfactory shooting at best with the hornaday sst sabots.
A trigger job is an absolute must. I think after this season I am going to have a trigger job done to the 500 and my Model 700 270 and go from there.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen the savage 210 slug warrior and was wondering if that was a good shooting gun?
Yes it is quite a good shooting gun.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Marlin makes a bolt action slug gun I think its a model 512 not sure but I think you can find one for under 400bucks.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't to happy with my 500 slug gun either so I traded up to the 835 Mberg.Vast improvement and still reasonably priced.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a mossy 500 in 20 guage and it will shoot side by side holes at 100 yards with the rifle barrel. i use the winchester partition slugs.i also have a 12 guage 500 that loves the barnes. put a 40mm scope on it .

Quick Reply: Bolt Action Slug Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.