Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rossi rifles >

rossi rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rossi rifles

Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default rossi rifles

i am having problems sighting in my rossi .243. I have been through 3 scopes and a set of rings. i can shoot it and get a group of 3 within 5inches at 100 yds, then bam no groups aftr that then ill get a group agian and again it starts shooting off the paper. with this being a cheaper made rifle could this be barrel heat up? or could something else be the problem?i just readon another forum that the bolt that goes from through the stock into the bottom of the barrel can affect accuracy, is there any truth to this?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: rossi rifles

ok, forget it is a rossi and just let me know where to go from here to find out what the problem is. anything i can do myself?another idea was the ammunition, is it possible that my gun doesnt like the corelokts? and if so could it really be that erratic?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM

First, try letting the barrel really cool off between shots. If that doesn't work, make double sure you have the mount, rings, and scope locked down. I put loc-tite on the under side of the mount, and on the screw threads. I also put a thin film of it on the bottom of the inside of the scope rings. Once that sets up, you should be able to guarantee the scope doesn't move.

I got a Rossi in 7.62x39 for my son. It shoots fine. Not a sub-MOA rifle by any means, but plenty accurate to kill deer. The factory sights on it sucked.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like BigTiny said let it cool between shots that is a key. Every rifle heats up and starts getting bigger groups after 3-5 shots. Next double check the mounts. And finally change your ammo, every gun has its own personality likes and dislikes and it very well might not like cor-lokts.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

just got off the phone with rossi and they said they recomend winchester ammo in an 80 grain, will try this and see what happens, but is 80 grain gonna be enough for whitetail?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hurley0816

ok, forget it is a rossi and just let me know where to go from here to find out what the problem is. anything i can do myself?another idea was the ammunition, is it possible that my gun doesnt like the corelokts? and if so could it really be that erratic?
Try several makes of ammo and some with different bullet weights. Then, shoot slow - one shot, let the barrel cool for 5 min., another shot, 5 more min., etc. Then you will know if the problem is due to the barrel heating up!

I know the .243 is supposed to be an accurate round, but I personally never had much luck with them, no matter whose make of .243 we're using..
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hurley0816

just got off the phone with rossi and they said they recomend winchester ammo in an 80 grain, will try this and see what happens, but is 80 grain gonna be enough for whitetail?
That's a varmint bullet, and is not recommended for shooting deer. I would want a minimum of the (specifically) 85-grain Sierra HPBT for deer, and would prefer something in 90 grains or more....
Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 5" 3-shot group at 100yds??? Fairly cool barrel?? Something is drastically wrong here, IMO. I agree, .243 factory ammo leaves a lot to be desired in my mind, but even with the factory stuff, I've never had a .243 shoot that bad.
I'm not familiar with the Rossi brand, but that is just absolutely totally unacceptable. I'd be doing some loud squaking.....
Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 PM

If you find out the problem let me know.My cousin just got one for his son and it is doing the same thing.Hes on his 3 scope and nothing has changed.I was at a local gun shop today and talked to them about it.They are going to quit selling them because they have had so much trouble with them.He showed me a list a mile long of things they had go wrong .
Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might try an ammo change. I have a friend who purchased one earlier this year, and tried to shoot some Hornady light mags. The rifle would not group them well, he changed ammo and the rifle still didn't like it. Eventually he found it liked the cheapWinchesterSuper X 100grs.
Good luck.