HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   what does squeeze the trigger mean? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/272887-what-does-squeeze-trigger-mean.html)

johnnyHunts 11-10-2008 06:51 PM

what does squeeze the trigger mean?

"They" always say that when firing but what does it mean versus pull the trigger? Thanks.

XTP 11-10-2008 06:54 PM

RE: what does squeeze the trigger mean?

"Pull" usually end up being more like "jerk" and ruins accuracy.

"Squeeze" refers to a slow and steady pressure being applied to the trigger until the shot fires.

driftrider 11-10-2008 10:49 PM

You pull a shotgun trigger, you squeeze a rifle trigger.

The idea of squeezing the trigger on a rifle is to ensure the the force you apply doesn't move the rifle when the shot breaks resulting in a pulled shot that doesn't hit where you thought you were aiming. Like XTP said, when you shoot the rifle, you gradually apply more and more pressure until the shot breaks. A good way to break the habit of pulling or jerking the rifle trigger is to actually say out loud (on in your minds voice if you have people nearby ;) ) "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze" as you place pressure on the trigger. If you do it right what you'll get is more "squeeeeeeBOOM!"

I know it sounds a little silly, but they actually teach this technique in Marine Corps Basic Marksmanship training (which is where I learned it). It's a way to make your mind concentrate on squeezing the trigger and not think about rushing the shot or anticipating recoil. Ideally, the pressure should be applied slowly enough that the shot surprises you a little bit.

Mike

SWThomas 11-11-2008 05:08 AM

Slow steady squeeze.

bronko22000 11-11-2008 05:30 AM

Exactly - you squeeze rather than pull. Gradually applying pressure to the trigger with your finger when your sights or crosshairs are on the target. When sights drift off target yo stop applying pressure (don't let go) and when your back on target apply more pressure until trigger breaks.

usmc1978 11-11-2008 07:07 AM

Here's another take: your goal in squeezing the trigger is to cause it to move directly to the rear. If you have your finger hooked over the trigger, even a squeeze can cause pressure to the right or left, thus affecting your sight alignment and sight picture. Ideally you should use the pad of your finger trigger. Jeff Cooper described the motion as 'pressing' the trigger, v. squeezing it.

And Semper Fi, driftrider.

RugerM77.270 11-11-2008 08:14 AM

A friend of mine told me that in the Marines he was told to slowly say suprise rather then squeeze as he "pulled" the trigger. He said that the gun firing should suprise you everytime you pull the trigger.

SWThomas 11-11-2008 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

A friend of mine told me that in the Marines he was told to slowly say suprise rather then squeeze as he "pulled" the trigger. He said that the gun firing should suprise you everytime you pull the trigger.
I also learned my fine-tuned markmanship skills in the USMC. And your friend would be correct to a certain extent. The "Surprise" thing works a lot better on the pistol than the rifle for me. I'm just so use to shooting rifles that I've become comfortable with squeezing the trigger and knowing pretty much when it's going to fire.Movement is a lot more amplified with a pistol so that would be a better technique.

We shoot rapid fire drills in the USMC and you really learn how to quickly squeeze the trigger. All the while keeping it nice and smooth.

BarnesX.308 11-11-2008 06:46 PM

Larry Weisshund always says "gently tug the trigger". No wonder he misses all the time. :D

no_skill 11-12-2008 06:42 AM

Military terms, squeeze means to ease the trigger until you fire your shot (all you want to do with a hunting rifle), and pull the trigger with fully automatic weapons such as the M249, 240B, .50cal, and the MK-19 and any shotgun as these weapons are area target weapons compared to point target weapons.