Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 deer slugs in a full choke ???? >

deer slugs in a full choke ????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

deer slugs in a full choke ????

Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer slugs in a full choke ????

is it safe to shoot rifled slugs through a 12 gauge full choke ?

i was told years ago that if a dime won't fit through.....
don't shoot a slug through it. i'm smart enough not to test it lol !
i just got a cheap REVELATION[western auto] 12 gauge pump w/vent rib barrel and full choke and would like to deer hunt with it if it's safe to put slugs through it. i've always used imp. or mod. but this gun doesn't have screw in tubes.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!
DK
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer slugs in a full choke ????

A full choke IMO is too tight to fire slugs through. It may cause damage to the barrel (and you). Accuracy probably wouldn't be too good either. It has probably been done before but I wouldn't try it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Perfectly safe. As long as you use rifled, or foster style slugs, you wont have a problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Like said above, if they are foster/rifled slugs they will safely go through a full choke. That being said the accuracy will probably be pretty bad because of the amount the choke will deform the slug as it passes through.

DO NOT shoot sabots from a smooth bore gun of any choke, especially a full choke. They are not designed to crush like a foster slug is and may cause damage to your gun. They won't shoot worth a darn out of a smooth bore anyway so why waste the money on them when rifled slugs are way cheaper.

Paul
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

WOW ! i posted this same question on 3 other sites as well and it seems there are a number
of hunters that are very uninformed [MYSELF INCLUDED] about this question. SO,i did some googling and found alot more of the same confusion !

i also found the answer....seems like BRENNEKE designed the rifled slug to be able to shoot through any choke. the ribs on a rifled slug provide space for the slug to compress as it passes through.

heres the link to the site
http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html

by the way....i shot some slugs through it today and no splintered barrel !
good group at 50 yds but they did drop about a foot and spread out some at 100 yds.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: dog killer

WOW ! i posted this same question on 3 other sites as well and it seems there are a number
of hunters that are very uninformed [MYSELF INCLUDED] about this question. SO,i did some googling and found alot more of the same confusion !

i also found the answer....seems like BRENNEKE designed the rifled slug to be able to shoot through any choke. the ribs on a rifled slug provide space for the slug to compress as it passes through.

good group at 50 yds but they did drop about a foot and spread out some at 100 yds.

I am by far NO expert, but I do love hunting with a shotgun. I love the challenge of getting a old single shot break action and seeing what type of game I can bag with it - anything from squirrel to bear.

With that being said....

I have too successfully shot the brenneke "foster" style slugs from a full choke single shot for years. You can use any foster style slugs - remington, winchester, brenneke - el cheapo. They all shoot good "as to be expected". My longest kill came with a break action stevens 20ga with a full choke and a slug at 74 yards on a doe back in 1997.

SO YES - you can shoot slus out of your gun. Make sure again that it is the foster style as listed above. 50-75 yards is about the max - unless you put a scope on it etc... I live in Georgia and hunt thicketts where a 50 yard shot is about the max and a 15 yard shot is the norm. I usually carry a slug in the gun and some buckshot in my pocket for the closer game.

Have fun with your new slug gun!!!! Post pics when you get at kill with it...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's safe with a rifled slug, but like everyone else says, the accuracy probably won't be all that great. Although, some of those older guns will surprise you with how accurate they are. I have an old sears and roebuck shotgun that shoots slugs great out to 50 yards, and an old western field shotgun that will shoot anything a foot low and to the right. Try it and see what it does. As long as the barrel is in good condition, it should be fine.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM
DM

Yep, everyone did it "forever", untill the internet came along and someone said you couldn't.

I shot some Rem. foster style slugs in my 1935 side by side (full choke bbl) a few days ago, and they shot pretty good. I've been shooting them in it for 25 years, and there's nothing wrong with it's bbls...

Do you supose a modern bbl made for STEEL SHOT would be even thicker and evenstronger???

DM
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're almost correct. The foster style slugs predated the excellent benneke slugs by a number of years. What benneke did was simply improve on the idea by screwing the bore fitting wad on bottom instead of using a seperate wad behind the slug,thereby offering a better weight foeward balance which resulted in better accuracy. The foster AND benneke slugs were designed to be safely fired thru ANY choke existing at the time of their introduction. The "ribs" on the side of slugs were NOT designed to compress,but rather in hopes of inducing somewhat of a stabilizing spin to the projectile in similar way to a smoothbore round of the some of the earlier tanks.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You're almost correct. The foster style slugs predated the excellent benneke slugs by a number of years. What benneke did was simply improve on the idea by screwing the bore fitting wad on bottom instead of using a seperate wad behind the slug,thereby offering a better weight foeward balance which resulted in better accuracy. The foster AND benneke slugs were designed to be safely fired thru ANY choke existing at the time of their introduction. The "ribs" on the side of slugs were NOT designed to compress,but rather in hopes of inducing somewhat of a stabilizing spin to the projectile in similar way to a smoothbore round of the some of the earlier tanks.

brenneke wouldn't be making these statements if they weren't true ,would they ? i was simply stating what i read on their site.

regardless, this is information that needs to be shared with everyone in the hunting world ! thats what these hunting sites are about !!! it,s scary to realize the number of hunters that don't know they can shoot a rifled/foster type slug in a full choke.

Quick Reply: deer slugs in a full choke ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.