Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting-in Trouble >

Sighting-in Trouble

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting-in Trouble

Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sighting-in Trouble

Guys, this is gonna make me look real bad, but....when sighting ina scope, which direction do you move the windage/elevation???? Lets say you move it "this" way to go RIGHT, and the "other way" to go LEFT. If your shooting 3" to the right, do you move it RIGHT, therefore moving the gun more left when you aim, or do you move it LEFT, therefore moving the shot to the left? I just messed around with my scope until I moved it in the right direction and got it sighted in. But this has frustrated me for the past few years. Please help me.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting-in Trouble

"Look Bad"---I do not think so. I wish I had a dime for every time I turned a scope adjustment turret the wrong way. I would have a bunch of dimes.

Move the scope in the direction that the bullet needs to go. Tom.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does that apply to EVERY scope? I was told one time that it depends on the scope? Thanks by the way
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Allscopes are the same as far as I know. If the bullet hits high and right, you need to adjust the turrents down and left accordingly. The bullet will follow your adjustments. Bows are simple, just follow the arrow. If your hitting high right then move your pin up and right.Rear iron sights on guns are the only ones you move opposite of the impact point to adjust windage.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I wish I woulda known that before. Definetly woulda saved me a lot of time and ammo. I was always, lets say, shooting high and to the left, I would move the scope upand to the left...
Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deke12ga

Allscopes are the same as far as I know. If the bullet hits high and right, you need to adjust the turrents down and left accordingly. The bullet will follow your adjustments. Bows are simple, just follow the arrow. If your hitting high right then move your pin up and right.Rear iron sights on guns are the only ones you move opposite of the impact point to adjust windage.

Uhhhh.....No. You move the rear iron sight in th direction you want the bullet to go. As you do to the hind sight, so you do to the bullet.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

What has always worked for me according to a old friend....."Chase your hole" If your shooting low 2 inches and right 3 inches move your elevation down 2 inches and your windage right 3 inches.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

MOST (but not necessarily ALL) scopes are marked in the direction you want to move the point of impact. In your example, if the bullets are striking 3" to the right, you must move the adjustments 3 inches in the direction marked "left".

I know of no currently made sciope that is marked differently. But ages ago, some of the German scopes (IF they even had internal windage adjustments) were marked in the reverse of this - it made for some confusion!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Uhhhh.....No. You move the rear iron sight in th direction you want the bullet to go. As you do to the hind sight, so you do to the bullet.

Sorry that came out wrong.. Yes you move the rear sight the direction you want the bullet to go, butin the opposite direction of where the bullet is hitting...If its hitting left you should move the sight to the right. Basically the same as a scope but iron sights normally dont have arrows with directions on them...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Sorry that came out wrong.. Yes you move the rear sight the direction you want the bullet to go, butin the opposite direction of where the bullet is hitting...If its hitting left you should move the sight to the right. Basically the same as a scope but iron sights normally dont have arrows with directions on them...
.......Yup!!.........

Quick Reply: Sighting-in Trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.