Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 deer slugs in a full choke ???? >

deer slugs in a full choke ????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

deer slugs in a full choke ????

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer slugs in a full choke ????

ORIGINAL: dog killer

is it safe to shoot rifled slugs through a 12 gauge full choke ?

i was told years ago that if a dime won't fit through.....
don't shoot a slug through it. i'm smart enough not to test it lol !
i just got a cheap REVELATION[western auto] 12 gauge pump w/vent rib barrel and full choke and would like to deer hunt with it if it's safe to put slugs through it. i've always used imp. or mod. but this gun doesn't have screw in tubes.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!
DK
This old question has been around ever since Greener et. al first swaged a choke into the barrel of a smoothbore!

The answer is "yes, it is safe to shoot 'rifled' slugs in a choked barrel. They are made of pure, soft lead, are almost a shell of lead hollow in the middle,and the "rifling" and base ring on these slugs are designed to squeeze down as much as necessary to get through the choke. This squeezing damages accuracy, but not your gun!

At one time, bore-size round balls were loaded into shotgun shells. These so-called "punkin balls" were solid, and were dangerous to use in full-choke guns. But that was 100 years ago, or more. The Brenneke slugs made for smoothbore shooting can also be shot in choked barrels.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

A full choke IMO is too tight to fire slugs through. It may cause damage to the barrel (and you). Accuracy probably wouldn't be too good either. It has probably been done before but I wouldn't try it.

WRONG!!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You're almost correct. The foster style slugs predated the excellent benneke slugs by a number of years. What benneke did was simply improve on the idea by screwing the bore fitting wad on bottom instead of using a seperate wad behind the slug,thereby offering a better weight foeward balance which resulted in better accuracy. The foster AND benneke slugs were designed to be safely fired thru ANY choke existing at the time of their introduction. The "ribs" on the side of slugs were NOT designed to compress,but rather in hopes of inducing somewhat of a stabilizing spin to the projectile in similar way to a smoothbore round of the some of the earlier tanks.

ORIGINAL: dog killer

WOW ! i posted this same question on 3 other sites as well and it seems there are a number
of hunters that are very uninformed [MYSELF INCLUDED] about this question. SO,i did some googling and found alot more of the same confusion !

i also found the answer....seems like BRENNEKE designed the rifled slug to be able to shoot through any choke. the ribs on a rifled slug provide space for the slug to compress as it passes through.

heres the link to the site
http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html

by the way....i shot some slugs through it today and no splintered barrel !
good group at 50 yds but they did drop about a foot and spread out some at 100 yds.

My understanding is that the Foster-type slugs were designed in the 1930's here in the U.S., and that Wilhelm Brenneke designed his in the 1890's in Germany for use there and in Africa. So I believe Brenneke was first with his "any choke's OK" slugs, rather than Foster. But I don't believe you could get Brennekes here in the U.S. at first. They were later imported, I believe, by Stoeger's. But I do not know when they actually were introiduced in the U.S. (Brennekes are great slugs, BTW!)
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

the ribs are for filling the gap between the slug and the barrel due to various bore diameters among manufactures as well as choke sizes. the ribs do not invoke spin on the projectile.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

the ribs are for filling the gap between the slug and the barrel due to various bore diameters among manufactures as well as choke sizes. the ribs do not invoke spin on the projectile.
Then why do they call them "rifled slugs" and why are the ribs slanted? Las time I cut apart a slug to look at it looked like the opposite match of a .45acp barrel? The lands and grooves of the pistol barrel invoke spin so why not the same on the slug?... Also the difference in bore diameter and choke consrtictions from different manufactures is negligable unless specified as "overbored"...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deke12ga

Then why do they call them "rifled slugs" and why are the ribs slanted?
Deke, Outdoorsman is right! Those ribs are there justfor laughs!! "Rifled" slugs have been photographed in flight. Little if any, spin resulted from that "rifling" swaged onto the slugs. Actually, slugs cast in a Lyman mould (smooth sides) shot just as well as the "rifled" ones.

At one time, Lyman sold a swaging die for swaging "lands & grooves" onto slugs cast in their moulds. But when after extensive testing they discovered that "unswaged" slugs shot as well as the ones with the lands & grooves, they quit making the swaging die.....

The ribs aren't even needed to go thru a choke-except for on the Brenneke slugs. Then the ribs are needed, because the slug has a solid body.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Geke, Hate to break it to you, Hoss, but Outdoorsman is right! Those ribs are there justfor laughs!! "Rifled" slugs have been photographed in flight. Little if any, spin resulted from that "rifling" swaged onto the slugs. Actually, slugs cast in a Lyman mould (smooth sides) shot just as well as the "rifled" ones.

At one time, Lyman sold a swaging die for swaging "lands & grooves" onto slugs cast in their moulds. But when after extensive testing they discovered that "unswaged" slugs shot as well as the ones with the lands & grooves, they quit making the swaging die.....

The ribs aren't even needed to go thru a choke-except for on the Brenneke slugs. Then the ribs are needed, because the slug has a solid body.

I was simply asking a question. Notcalling anyone wrong or namessuch as yourself. Try using some manners, makes you look more like a credible source of information, not an "I told you so" child. Maybe smooth slugs do shoot just as good as the "rifled" ones, but I didnt say they spun like a disco ball so a "little" spin may be enough to stabalize a slug just fine. A .45 doesnt spin that much either. Try throwing a football without spiraling it and seehow you fair. I guess we can tell you didnt pass physics class.Wether or not they are designed to spin the slug, they do. Now another purpose may be to fill in a gap or allow for the slug to pass through a choke, if thats the case I learned something new and thanks for informing me. But it's still why they're called rifled slugs.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have nothing but respect for edleguello. I've never seen him attempt to name call or provoke anyone,and he's a wealth of info. I'm SURE he didn't mean anything by saying "hoss"-is that what you refer to as name calling? Try to be a lil less "thinskinned".
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I'm refering to the very first word in his post..."Geke" Sure its a play on words but its an insult too. If its a typo well they have an edit button for a reason... "hoss" didnt bother me at all...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Geke, Hate to break it to you, Hoss, but Outdoorsman is right! Those ribs are there justfor laughs!! "Rifled" slugs have been photographed in flight. Little if any, spin resulted from that "rifling" swaged onto the slugs. Actually, slugs cast in a Lyman mould (smooth sides) shot just as well as the "rifled" ones.

I was simply asking a question. Notcalling anyone wrong or namessuch as yourself. Try using some manners, makes you look more like a credible source of information, not an "I told you so" child. Maybe smooth slugs do shoot just as good as the "rifled" ones, but I didnt say they spun like a disco ball so a "little" spin may be enough to stabalize a slug just fine. A .45 doesnt spin that much either. Try throwing a football without spiraling it and seehow you fair. I guess we can tell you didnt pass physics class.Wether or not they are designed to spin the slug, they do. Now another purpose may be to fill in a gap or allow for the slug to pass through a choke, if thats the case I learned something new and thanks for informing me. But it's still why they're called rifled slugs.
Deke, you and Stalking Bear arecorrect. I apologize. I was wrong to reply that way. Edit performed....

Quick Reply: deer slugs in a full choke ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.