Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL >

Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL

Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL

God help em..lol. Seen a guy this eve at the local range with a 742 30-06 while I was scavanging for brass. He was cussing that he couldnt get it to group decent at 100 yards. He was shooting the plain ol blue box Federals which he proceeded to tell me he paid 40 bucks a box for. I shoulda offered to sell him a few boxes for 20 a box..lmao.

But anyways I mentioned that the 742's loved a cold barrel and he told me he was letting it cool completely off between shots. Well I sat there and watched him shoot an entire clip of 5 off in around 45 seconds or so. Then load up another clip and let it rip as well..lmao. At this point I just started giggling and got up and left. In defense of the gun I thought it done rather well for what he was putting it through....it was grouping at 5-8 inches with a smoking barrel..lmao. I started to scream "CEASE FIRE!! CEASE FIRE!! CHARLIE IS FALLING BACK!!!"

Some people you just cant help...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL

The last time that I was at the range, about a month an half ago, a couple of guys brought out a box of clay pigeons and threw a couple dozen of them on the berm at 100 yards. When they left with their 270 and 30-06 and 4 boxes of empty shells, I finished off the other 22 pigeons with my AR15. I bet it was only an hours time too.

Another guy showed up with his pump action 270 and insisted on shooting at the 5" 250 yard gong. Couldn't figure out why he couldn't hit it.

One more with his 340 Weatherby Mag was braggin about it before he sat down. He couldn't keep his cheek on the stock when pulling the trigger. Managed to hit his 100 yard target though. But grouped just as big as the paper.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like going to the range this time of year because there's a ton of excellent brass. As long as it doesn't get to crowded this is the best time to go imo.

Tom
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I like going to the range this time of year because there's a ton of excellent brass. As long as it doesn't get to crowded this is the best time to go imo.

Tom
It's best to go during the week, when everyone else is at work. Try to go to the range on a Saturday? Pfffft.... Good luck even trying to get into the parking lot! [:'(]

Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it is funny to watch people out there that shoot once a year and can't figure why they can't hit the paper. I try to avoid going to a public range because too many idiots. Last time I was there I was shooting a .450 Marlin with ported barrel and they tried to stick me under the awning. I told them everybody out there would be cussing after the first shot. I moved to the far end away from everybody where it wasn't covered. Though I seen several people shooting guns with muzzle brakes underneath the awning and the echo was horrible.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

JeffS....that reminds me of the first time I shot my compensated 9mm under cover......well not under an awning but while laying down inside a barrel. I was into IPSC shooting back then (just starting to really get into it) and I decided to put a comp on my 9 like the big guys with their race guns. Once of the courses had a prone firing position where you had to crawl inside of a plastic 55 gal barrel that was laying on it's side. As I touched off the first shot there was a significant pause for the follow up shot as I tried to regain my senses. The concussion from the comp blast bouncing off the top of the barrel ~2 ft over my head almost made my eyes water.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

JeffS....that reminds me of the first time I shot my compensated 9mm under cover......well not under an awning but while laying down inside a barrel. I was into IPSC shooting back then (just starting to really get into it) and I decided to put a comp on my 9 like the big guys with their race guns. Once of the courses had a prone firing position where you had to crawl inside of a plastic 55 gal barrel that was laying on it's side. As I touched off the first shot there was a significant pause for the follow up shot as I tried to regain my senses. The concussion from the comp blast bouncing off the top of the barrel ~2 ft over my head almost made my eyes water.
i'm sorry to laugh at your pain, but that story is funny. i don't like being around compensated weapons under a roof at a range either.
when it gets close to opening gun season i stay away from the range. it gets nuts. i live in florida but primarily hunt in georgia. thankfully the georgia gun season starts three weeks before the gun season in central florida starts. which means that i get all of my shooting done just before the big mobs hit. although, you do get to hear some fantastic stories from the guys who are all over the paper at 100 yards. yet, according to them they are able to hold a little high and kill deer at 350 yards.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Funny you should mention those long shots. The same guy sat and told me how he won $50 with that gun killing a deer at 250 yards...lmao!!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didja ever notice some of the equipment some of these dudes show up with? Or don't show up with?? Like a rest..?? I guess that's maybe why some of them are just plain pleased to hit an 18"x18" piece of paper @ 100yds. The deer will probably be safer if it just stands still.....lesschance of running into a well-aimed bullet............
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm very fortunate, I have a buddy with a range that him and I made behind his house so I don't have to put up with these guys anymore...

Quick Reply: Gotta love Fall at the shooting range! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.