Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Grandpa's gun. >

Grandpa's gun.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Grandpa's gun.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Grandpa's gun.

Got a call from a cousin the other day, he is in possesion of a gun that Dad used to have that previously belonged to his dad. Grampa had gotten tired of chasing deer down after he shot them so he got a BIG gun. Thru the years it was sold to an uncle then to his son's. It is in my possession now and willbe untill I die or pass it on to another family member.

The gun is a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 made in 1953 chambered for 375 H&H Magnum. A little overkill for deer but as the saying goes, "you can never use too much gun". Over the years when Dad had it I was too chicken to shoot the thing, after seeingit chop down 4" trees with one shot and destroy coffee cans, and the concussion too. But I'm going to go shoot it now and if I ever get a chance to go to Alaska I'm set for Big BEARS.

The condition is not great, not bad but not new by any means. The blueing on the receive is mostly gone and the stock finish is starting to peel, the recoil pad is ill fitting but the barrel still has 80% finish and the bore is perfect. 5 boxes of reloads came with it too, 235 grainers, 270 grainers and 300's too.
]

Dad sold it to his brother 30 years ago for $75 and I just paid 10 times that for it. But I think it is a bargin.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Grandpa's gun.

Well worth the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

You can't put a price on senimental value. Enjoy the rifle!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pap's gun!! Priceless!! Tom.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now send it to Art's in Missouri and have it restored to like it was when you grandfather had it before all the brothers beat it up.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

All I'd do with that rifle is have a gunsmith fit that butt pad properly. That rifle has a lot of 'character'. Every one of those nicks and dings tells a story.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would leave that cannon just the way it is, the way gramps used it and find a nice place on the wall for it. (then go get yourself a shiny new one!)
Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a little gem!!!

Do with it exactly as you wish. It is a family jewel and you couldn't wreck it unless you have anunscrupulous smith start cutting and chopping. I agree with bronko though ... have that or another pad properly fitted.

If you want to refurbish it then do it right. Find a professional that understands that vintage weapon and treat it with the appropriate touches. I can't imagine that the gun, as is, is going to be worth more than if it is professionally refurbished. Besides, even if it is, that is a concern only if you plan on selling it. I would NEVER sell that gun. You can hunt the entire world with that little number.

Or you could do some investigating and find out about how to primp and preen it's stock and metal a bit. Even if you had a professional re-blue I doubt you'd be "ruining" it, as it is already showing way more than a little wear. Or just a little tender loving care with some stock care products and careful cleaning would be fine also.

You could also leave it completely alone. It won't shoot any better if you refurbish (except for the pad!)

No matter what you do with that rifle I am happy to have viewed it and jealous as all get out! What a find! And owned by your dad and your Gramps to boot. It doesn't get any better that that, IMHO.

Congrats man! I'd pay an awful lot of money for such a gun. I've seen some that were 1949-50 ish (same caliber) in perfect condition command over $4500.00 bucks.

Your's would get $1350.00 easy on the open market today, as is ... IMO ... and probably much more with just a little polish and preening ........ but I'm pretty sure you're not selling ... I wouldn't, EVER.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

All I'd do with that rifle is have a gunsmith fit that butt pad properly. That rifle has a lot of 'character'. Every one of those nicks and dings tells a story.
Isn't that recoil pad, that someone along the line had installed, part of that character. Winchester used solid red recoil pads with their logo on them.

(then go get yourself a shiny new one!)
You can't. They haven't been made since 1964.

If you guys were able to aquire a 1955 corvette that had been in the family since grand pa purchaed it new.... still drives fine butthe paint was flaking off, tires were worn, windshied cracked,aftermerket grilletc... would you leave all of the "character marks" on it and stick it in the garage (gun on the wall) orrestore it to like new when grand pa bought it in 55'and drive it like grand pa did? Assuming you could afford to do so.

Either way it is one heck of a rifle to have aquired through the family. I am just saying that no matter who may have owned a given peice of property there comes a time when it must be restored, repainted, rebuilt, etc... so that others may enjoy itfor many many years to come.Grand pa's house probably doesn't have the original paint on the walls does it?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Have the pad replaced and then go shoot it. That's not a wall hanger. That's a hunting rifle.
And don't ever think of what it's worth. It's priceless. I still have and use my Dad's 300 H@H.

T

Quick Reply: Grandpa's gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.