Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 110

Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage 110

Not long ago, the 110 was named among the top 50 sporting arms of the modern era by Field and Stream or Outdoor Life. It got me started doing some reading on its history, since
I bought a variant of this rifle about 15 years ago in .30 '06. I wanted to know more about what I owned.

I'm coming to realize that Nicholas Brewer, who designed it, doesn't get the credit he deserved for this rifle. It sounds like he really thought out the manufacturing process so it could be not only cheap, but accurate, strong, safe, etc. I get the sense that the ease of making left-handed versions wasn't by accident.

I know people dismiss the 110 because of its looks and low cost, thinking it must be junk. I'm coming to the conclusion that not only is this the low cost, functional, VERY accurate rifle that made the top 50, but it was really a very clever piece of work. Brewer seems to have gone outside the box and came up with a gem. Because of its looks and the admittedly iffy trigger, a lot of people overlooked it as a rifle that went in a new direction and really got somewhere.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage 110

It is snubbed by those that want their firearms to be "the best" or "the prettiest" or "the most revered" oe even "the most pricey"...all the while the Savage shoots as well or better than most for way less money, and offers the very inexpensive option of trading barrels with little effort. And now with the AccuTrigger it's greatest criticism has been silenced by those that have used it.
It's a great gun and you're right...most folks don't appreciate the simplicity and beauty of it's design.
I've got one and it is a hard working tool that is oblivious to hard knocks and rough treatment... though I always try to be nice to it!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Spike

06 don't agree that the accu trigger is a good thing, I don't care for it a bit. But that being said replacement triggers work very well, I've got timney's on my 2 ML II's and my 338 fed (yep ease of putting a new barrel on), and it's an easy fix as long as you can read. There are after market stocks in any shape and style you want as I think the tupperware stock leaves much to be desired also. My 338 fed is in a durramax stock, is rebarreled to a 338 fed, has a timney trigger, the plastic trigger guard has been replaced with a metal one from brownels. It will shoot 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 groups at 100 yards day in, day out and never miss a beat as long as I do my part. It's not the prettiest gun I have in the cabinet but she's keeper none the less.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have some Timney's on a few Mauser 98's, and they are great triggers.

My point was that the newAccuTrigger is a vast improvement over the old stock Savage trigger. The old trigger had the possibility of adjustment, but it was a pretty touchy thing.

The new AccuTrigger is agood trigger, in my opinion, just maybe not the best I've ever felt.

Even if some don't prefer it to their Timney's or other aftermarkets, in a blindfold test most will be able to pick the AccuTrigger way above the old Savage trigger.

And for the record, very few of the notable gunwriters out there today have anything bad to say about the new Savage trigger. That's not to say they want to install it on all their guns, ... just that they appreciate the improvement.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't go wrong with a Savage. I have an older (1998?) Savage 110 chambered in .308 and still can't get over how incredibly accurate it is - especially with Federal ammo!

Here is mine, complete with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion the one thing that makes a rifle great is accuracy. Just because it dont have those pretty looks means nothing. Good looks never killed anything. I have to admit that i have never been fond of the savage bolt,I prefer a forged bolt over a fabricated one. However, it is a fanstatic piece of enginerring. I have sighted in several savage 110's for other people and most of them have been accurate. I have yet to try the accu trigger, but maybe one day i can.