Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W Ibolt must not be doing so well >

S&W Ibolt must not be doing so well

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W Ibolt must not be doing so well

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: S&W Icon must not be doing so well

What is the reason you wouldn't buy one? I bought the camo version in a 30-06 and it is one sweet rifle. I would like to hear any pros and cons about this rifle from others that have them or have shot them.
Well I don't like the bolt release and I was always lead to believe it had the flat bottom Icon system which i don't really care for. After looking at the review it appears to be a nice design other then the bolt release. I don't know how anyone can go wrong with a rifle that sells for 279.00 the only reason I brought it up was when first introduced it was selling I believe right at 600 bucks at the local Ganders. I think a lot of gun dealers around at least in my area are really going thru some tough times and starting to either not carry high end guns, limiting trades and just ordering guns and not stocking as much as they previously did.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

What is the reason you wouldn't buy one? I bought the camo version in a 30-06 and it is one sweet rifle. I would like to hear any pros and cons about this rifle from others that have them or have shot them
I-BOLT...........

Bolt binds easilywhen worked, The searis the bolt stop, [:'(]getting the bolt in and out of the receiver is a PITA,fit and finish is not very good IMO, The stock is flimsy at best, The sling swivel studs are molded plastic and part of the stock itself.

For $300 they aren'tbad but definetly not worth much more than that IMHO.

I have never shot one so I couldn't sayhowaccurate they arebut from a design stand point there is a lot that could be improved upon.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

So is it an improvement over the 710?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I knew this was discussed a few months ago and you had some comment about the bolt stop...I worked the bolt on the one at Gander and didn't like the action either. But for 279 its cheaper then a 710 or 770 and 2x the rifle or more.

Bolt binds easilywhen worked, The searis the bolt stop, [:'(]getting the bolt in and out of the receiver is a PITA,fit and finish is not very good IMO, The stock is flimsy at best, The sling swivel studs are molded plastic and part of the stock itself.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well reading those articles the rifle does seem to have some design issues. Seems plenty accurate enough though. Still, I think they may want to address the bolt removal design and the firing issue before I would consider buying one.
I would really hate it if the rifle didn't fire or the bolt locked up if I needed a second shot at a nice buck. (not that I'd ever need a second shot or anything)
Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: S&W Ibolt must not be doing so well

Bugs and Bows Icorrected the topic heading thanks. I am like a moth drawn to a flame when I see a Thompson Center commercial. I had the Icon on my mind.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

But for 279 its cheaper then a 710 or 770 and 2x the rifle or more.
Oh, definetly!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter and bigbulls, I just noticed that the both of you joined on 2/12/2003.

I'm sure a lot a people are glad oldelkhunter changed his signature and decided to hang around. 6000+ and still going!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

oldelkhunter and bigbulls, I just noticed that the both of you joined on 2/12/2003.

Actually both of us have been here longer but there was a database failure of some sort so we started fresh as daisys on 2/12/2003
Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think thats when they made everyone re-register Luckydog. Dont hold me to that but I ~think~ its right

Quick Reply: S&W Ibolt must not be doing so well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.