Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Help

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Default Savage Help

Hello, I have a savage 111 rifle which i put a bushnell elite 3200 on. I seem to be having a bad time trying to sight it in though. I have a solid rest, but it it seemss like the groupings are never consistent. I don't know what to do, I've shot fusions, trophy bonded bear claw federal premiums, and winchesters through it but the groups just don't seem that great or consistent. Is it the rifle or the ammunition? Any info would be appreciated. thanks mark
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Savage Help

Hmmmm... Are you sure the scope mounts are tight? I know its a dumb question, but, that's where I could check first. Maybe the Bushnell is bad and not holding its zero. You can gently tap on the scope while looking through it to see if the crosshairs move. As a last effort, I would bring it to a gunshop and ask them.

Good luck...

Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Typical Buck

What caliper is this gun??? How many shots per grouping and how quick are you shooting? Is it warm where you are ? Did you check the stock mounting screws? Did you check to see if the barrel is touching the stock[ the old dollar bill slide trick!]. Are you resting the gun on your rest on the stock or the barrel ? Do you use a rear sand bag ?
How bad are the groups??? Are you sure you are looking thru the scope the same way,every shot?
It ,most of the time,is just one little thing,that will mess things up !!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mounting man
Did you check the stock mounting screws? Did you check to see if the barrel is touching the stock[ the old dollar bill slide trick!].
I forgot about mentioning these in my first reply.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

Hey,BUTCHA,its early in the morning or is it late at night???? I am too tired to say !!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 AM

There are a million threads just like this one, and they are mostly all savage guns. I have had this same problem. I believe if you shoot more than two rounds at a time the barrel heats up and throws your shots all over the paper. good luck.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mounting man

Hey,BUTCHA,its early in the morning or is it late at night???? I am too tired to say !!!!!
I work nights (3rd shift [:'(]) so that's why I am on so late at night. I just got home about 10-15 minutes ago and am dead tired. I need to hit the hay and get some sleep...

Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 3 Savage rifles with the synthetic stocks . We all know these aren't the best stocks out there and there is signicicant movement of them out at the forend tip. I've found that it isn't so much how fast they are shot but were it is placed on the sandbags. I put mine about the center of the checkering.
If your mounts and rings are tight and this doesn't solve the problem, assuming it isn't you. I would then look to replacing the scope. Let someone else shoot your rifle if possible.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM

I was doing three shot groups. The barrel was cool inbetween shots. I had the screws tight, and the stock rested on the rest. Just not sure whats going on. Sorta feel like getting another gun lol
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM

You're trying to shoot with a boat paddle. Buy a real gun and it will fix your problems.

Quick Reply: Savage Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.