Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Athena O/U >

Weatherby Athena O/U

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Athena O/U

Old 09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Weatherby Athena O/U

Building up my arsenal of shotguns for when I semi-retire and get to gobird hunting to keep in shape. Looking at one of these in 12 or 20 gauge. Anyone have one and if so what are their thoughts?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weatherby Athena O/U

sorry...
all I could afford is a measley Red label...

Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry...
all I could afford is a measley Red label...
DOn't know how that contributes to this post but I have a measly Red Label as well and love it. Lets say I can buy the Athena for redlabel money
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can buy an Athena for Red Label money then what are you waiting for?? If you don't want to buy it let me know. They are one beautiflu piece of equipment.

I won one in a sales contest once. It was truly a beautiful shotgun, but I needed the money so I sold it. I never did shoot the shotgun.

The one I had was made by SKB. The only problem I ever saw with the Wby. shotguns was that it was always made by some one else, not by Wby. they just put their name on it. But then Browning does the exact same thing, and there are a lot of people who swear by Brownings.

Is it the top lock, or the bottom lock model?? They made several different ones. Personally I prefer the top lock. IMO the top lock is stronger, but harder to get these days. My Beretta is a bottom lock, but they call it an "improved bottom lock". I actually believe the SKB is a better shotgun than my Beretta, but the Beretta I have fits me like a glove(I still do not shoot very well). I have 2 friends who shoot skeet with their SKB's, they have shot 10's of thousnds of rounds through their shotguns, and the guns are still very tight. But they are top lock models. I think they are 585's. Tom.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can buy an Athena for Red Label money then what are you waiting for?? If you don't want to buy it let me know. They are one beautiflu piece of equipment
I hate buying something I haven't picked up and can't see until it gets to my gunshop. This one I believe has AA wood ..silver engraved sideplates and has the Greener system..I think that's a toplock

I won one in a sales contest once. It was truly a beautiful shotgun, but I needed the money so I sold it. I never did shoot the shotgun.

Tom, when I was a freshman in college and had zilch money I scrounged enough to buy a beautiful Ithaca SKB o/u in 20 gauge. Like an idiot I sold it and that gun is what I see when I look at the Athena.

The one I had was made by SKB. The only problem I ever saw with the Wby. shotguns was that it was always made by some one else, not by Wby. they just put their name on it. But then Browning does the exact same thing, and there are a lot of people who swear by Brownings
SKB and MIroku are top shelf shotguns by anyones measure that is for sure

Is it the top lock, or the bottom lock model?? They made several different ones. Personally I prefer the top lock. IMO the top lock is stronger, but harder to get these days. My Beretta is a bottom lock, but they call it an "improved bottom lock". I actually believe the SKB is a better shotgun than my Beretta, but the Beretta I have fits me like a glove(I still do not shoot very well). I have 2 friends who shoot skeet with their SKB's, they have shot 10's of thousnds of rounds through their shotguns, and the guns are still very tight. But they are top lock models. I think they are 585's. Tom.
Like I said before I think it is a top lock but not sure. I am going to call down there tonite and get more particulars on them..I know they have a bunch on hand since Weatherby dropped SKB as a vendor and using someone else . I think they are Fausti Stefano but not sure. I get more excited buying a fine shotgun then any rifle I have ever bought. Somthing about a fine shotgun I guess and that is my poison.