Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum >

Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum

Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum

My wife noticed that I have been eyeing a Weatherby vanguard Deluxe in 300 Weatherby Magnum lately. This weekend she said if I am a good boy Imight get it for Christmas. LOL. I'm whipped I know it but she lets me have my man card on the weekends sometimes.I was really just impressed with the look of the rifle but when she said that I got to thinking a 300 weatherby wouldn't be a bad idea. I already have two good deer rifles a 30-30 and a .270 so why not something a bit bigger to keep my hunting options open. I know it doesn't have the barrel life of a 300 win mag but I doubt I will shoot the barrel out anytime inthe next 20 years.Plus I handload.

So what do you fellas thing of this set up? Any of you have a Vanguard or a 300 weatherby?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum

IM not too big ont he 300 Weatherby cartridge. I have a Ruger no.1 in it and it seems to sit right between my 300 WSM and 300 Ultra Mag in terms of power andhas more recoil then my 300 Ultra Mag. It only gets shot a few times a year anymore. It is going to Canada with me because i ahvnt hunted with it in a whyle.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Surprisingly the wood and synthetic stocked 300 wthby mags in Vanguards usually have the smallest test groups of all the calibers. At least the ones I have seen. I wouild say go for it . Make sure you replace the trigger with a Timney and your good to go. Handload it and increment it little by little and you will get used to the recoil. It is fast recoil .
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Vanguard in 30-06 and we have only got to shoot it a few times but it seems to shoot really well. We mounted the scope and never even bore sighted it. The first shot hit about an inch high at 100 yards with the second shot right next to it. We have only tried one brand of sheels in it because the first one seemed to shoot so good in it.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gun should shoot quite well.....it's a fine gun and a fine cartridge.

It'll solve your elk hunting problems forever....also moose and anything up to Dangerous game.....and will do fine on some of that as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen that 399weatherby commercial, maybe nows the time...

have a .340wby, love it.

surprised at the 1 post of a .300wby kicking more than a .300 RUM.
either way its weatherby's most famous cartridge probably.
was probably the 1st magnum .300, I believe the .300 win mag came out after wby's release....
certainly a great round. if you want to split hairs on the win mag, or RUM, or .30-378 etc...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stock design has a lot of say in the matter and the weatherby does have a very fast sharp recoil

either way its weatherby's most famous cartridge probably.
Probably so

was probably the 1st magnum .300, I believe the .300 win mag came out after wby's release....
Ah Grasshopper the wthby is based on the 300 H&H case which is one of the earlier mags

certainly a great round. if you want to split hairs on the win mag, or RUM, or .30-378 etc...

Not sure you want to put the 30-378 in that group...its' recoil is out of this realm for marginally better results then the RUM
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fantastic rifle.

I could do with out the Weatherby cartridge though. Personally I would choose the standard Win mag or the WSM over the Weatherby.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

It dose make a differance that the 300 WBY was in a Ruger no.1 and the 300 RUM was a Remington 700. The Remington has more weight to it then the Ruger and that helps with the 300 RUM recoil. Honestly my 300 WSM has about the same recoil as them but it is in a extremely light weight rifle. Its only 6.6 pounds fully loaded with a scope.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WM at Wal-Mart several years ago. If I remember, it was $378.00. Synthetic stock. I'm not a huge fan of synthetic, but it certainly does have it's place. Mounted a 3X9 Leupold on it and went to the range after cleaning it out. After a good boresighting and some final adjustments, it shot well under the 1.5 MOA as advertised. One of my good friends got the same rig, and his shoots the same. All factory ammo..... Federal Premium 180 gr. Noslers.
The trigger leaves something to be desired, and I have not done anything about it yet. I simply do not use the gun much at all.....Just "needed" it..
I really don't think you will be disappointed in it.... As far as recoil, it's a little stout, but certainly quite manageable.

Quick Reply: Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.