Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 selling a gun? >

selling a gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

selling a gun?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Spike

Default selling a gun?

hey guys, im interested in selling one of my hunting rifles. what is the correct procedure to go through? any help would be great.
thanks
brian
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: selling a gun?

I've also wondered about this. I'm not thinking about selling a gun I've just wondered incase I ever decide I want to.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

you would have to check your local laws, some states are more strict then others. Generally with long guns (shotguns and rifles) i believe you can just sell it without any red tape. If you were selling to someone far away and you had to ship it to them, you would have to ship it through a FFL dealer to another FFL dealer where the buy lived and he could pick it up there. There is generally a nominal fee for the service. Selling handguns is generally much more complicated. Like i said i would check your local laws before doing anything
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

In most states you do not have to use a FFL to ship a long gun, only to receive a gun. Handguns require a FFL on both ends. A true Muzzleloader( one that cannot be converted to a centerfire, like T/C) requires neither.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought. I'd recommend some sort of signed sales slip indicating the serial #'s, name, address, etc. That way, if anything undesirable should happen (with that firearm) you're covered.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

In most states you are allowed to trade and or sell a long gun face to face with any individual. If selling out of state I suggest you use a local FFL dealer to FFL dealer transaction. That way everything is kept on the up and up and you don't have any scammerstakingadvantage ofyou. The cost for a transaction is usually $20-25. Pretty cheap piece of mind.

If you have a firearm that you want to send to a repair shop. You can send it direct to the shop doing the repair as long as you place the shops contact information in a packing slip or in the carton.

I personally perfer to use USPS instead of the other carriers. I've always had good service out of them and not some of the others?

If you need further assistance feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Spike

hey guys, thanks for the replys, ive got a friend that is an ffl, so that should help. if your in need of a rifle, ill have one on the classifieds soon!
thanks
brian
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

What kind of rifle is it bdhuntin? i'm not really in "need" of a rifle, but i'm always looking