Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 760 Gamemaster >

Remington 760 Gamemaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 760 Gamemaster

Old 08-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 760 Gamemaster

just punch out the two pins in the reciever and the trigger assem. will come right out. that will tell you all you need to know. then i just use an oily tooth brush and air to clean the bolt. those pumps are pretty problem free and funtion under any conditions. a real low maintanance gun unlike the brother 742. as far as the 243 being a close quarters brush gun, well, lol that can be argued a few ways. ide say yes in the fact that its a small dia. bullet and has a better chance of not hitting any brush lol but if it does come in contact w/ a limb or what not then its all over but the crying. also hunting thick timber usually means shooting at running deer and running deer dont offer perfect broad side text book shots. my opinion is the 243 isnt a heavy enough bullet to tuck in a deers rear end and know its gonna penitrate full length into the vitals. (thats why we like the .30 cal and .35 cal up here in maine)

sounds to me like you already have the perfect close quarters gun in that little model 7!! a good man w/ a bolt gun can shoot and hit just as fast as a pump. my father is living proof. he tracks w/ both (pumps and bolts)and ive seen him light them both up like the rifleman and have dead deer lying everywhere lol
Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in PA and for decades used a 760 pump carbine. I can shoulder it quickly, and it points so well. It's a great rifle for still hunting and drives.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skybuster, thanks for all your help. I took it back in the basement and punched out the two roller pins. I was able to give the inside a really good cleaning like I wanted to. The trigger is still really heavy, but it is smoother now than it was before. I did a search on ebay last night and found the guy who sells different springs.I'll think about one of those...for $6.95, its much cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith to have it lightened.

I'm really leaning towards making this gun a reliable workhorse type gun that beginners can use and not be scared of shooting. A heavier trigger isn't a bad option in that reguard and even if it affects the accuracy a little bit, most beginners won't be able to outshootthe gunanyways.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

The 760 is a great gun. First thing is to remove the see-thoughrings and put the right hieght rings on. If you need the 3-9 great you have one. If you need a scope with close in capabilities do it right get 1-4 or 1.5-5 scope these will allow for great close in shooting and thats 15-30 yards as well as eazy 200 plus shooting as well.

That gun is made off the 870 shotgun and is made for looking right down the barrel not +2 inches higher. This messes upyour cheek to stock weld so get the right rings, and scope tooif necessary.Have funa proper fit gunwill be a big help for years to come.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That gun is made off the 870 shotgun and is made for looking right down the barrel not +2 inches higher
i disagree. the cheek piece on my 7600 is ramped. if you slide back a bit will put you right in the scope on a see through mount. slide foward and now your in old iron sights. a 760 stock might be a little different.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes thats right the 760 and the 7600 have different comb hights. i shoot iron sights off my 7600's and had to take a rasp to the comb to get it to pop up right
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This has been a pretty good read. I just picked up a 760 in 30.06. I have never owned a pump rifle before and am excited to try it out.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 7600 in 35 whelen it has a 1.5-5 scope mounted with leupold low rings and the hieght is perfect. I hunt close up some times shots are 15 yards but never over 50 yards in the cedar/tag alder swamps here in MI. When I use this for more open woods terrain its great for 200-250 yards shots so there is no need for Iron sights if you have the right scope.

The see throughrings do not offer as good of field of view as does the lower power scopes. And the really mess up the cheek position and is not natural. Its a very poor sighting setup at the least. He just recieved this gun as is so he needs to set it up for his needs. By getting the right hieght rings (possibly quick disconnects) and may be a lower power scope than the 3-9 if he is hunting where shots are 15-150 yards.

A good gun fit is as inportant with a woods hunting rifle as it is with shotgun for upland hunting for accuracy. The 760/7600 are setup for this type of hunting. The exrta high see-through rings only ruin this well designed plan of sight,and are a very poor excuse for putting thr wrong scope on a gun for the hunting conditions its to be used for.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Speaking from first hand ownership and getting to see lots of different ones shot.. they are usually extremely accurate in my opinion !! I've owned several and have never had one that wouldn't shoot between 1 and 2 inches at 100 yards.. and I've seen several that would shoot under 1 inch..especially an old .244 remington that comes to mind.. The only problem I've ever had with any of them was that it took a small base die to make reloads function smoothly.. but accuracy was never an issue..also the triggers on mine were never any different that the 700's in lbs of pull... they are not adjustable like the 700's but for hunting they are hard to beat in the woods..lots of firepower in a hurry and very slick handling in the woods... more than likely the most used gun here in PA over the last 50 years with out question..
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I agree about the accuracy. With a 4 power scope and no fancy bench set-up, I can shoot 3 shot 1" groups at 100 yards with Hornady factory ammunition.

The next part is a question. In between the 760 and the 7600 was the Model 76 and the Model 6? I looked at a Model 6 months agoin 270 caliber and just didn't have the money to buy it. It had the most beautiful stock on it that I have ever seen on a Remington pump, and had the cartridge base in the underside of the action, locatedahead of the magazine just like the old Remington pumps.

Quick Reply: Remington 760 Gamemaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.