Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker >

Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker

Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker

I'm buying a new deer/hog rifle and trying to decide between the Rem. 700 XCR and the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker.

Just curious on your opinions of either rifle. I'm left handed and looking for an "all weather" gun. These rifles will both fill those needs and then some.

I've had a chance to look at them both and spend LOTS of time shouldering the rifles. Both are different, but feel good.

The Browning is a TAD lighter and seems to come with a TAD better synthetic stock. The Remington seems to have a TAD smoother bolt and sports a 24" barrel instead of the 22" barrel on the Browning (don't really know if there's an advantage to that other than a little more velocity).

So, is either one of these rifles more..."functional"? Better action? Better barrel? ect.

I'm looking to get out of buying and selling some many rifles and start hanging on to them so my collection builds. I'm really wanting one that's going to be my "go to" rifle for YEARS to come. Maybe even hand it down to my son after I'm gone.

The caliber will be .30-06 if it matters any

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker

I have neither but a friend has both. One sits in my safe right now. Personally, I like the A-Bolt better. It just seems to be put together better, plus the short bolt throw is nice. Both would very likely function fine and get the job done. It just depends on fit and feel... your choice.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Before I decided on either I would look at the Browning X bolt STainless rifle..it has some improvements over the Abolt and the one I handled had a great trigger. I would choose that one easily over the XCR
Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I purchased a Rem 700 XCR in .30-06 two years ago. I have been extremely happy with it. It shoots clover leaf groups @ 100 yards with off-the-shelf Federal Power Shock ammo. I now call it my lucky deer rifle as I got three with it last year, one of which was a 260 pound 8 point buck. See attached photo.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/huntingthenorth/DSCN3862A.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Remington SPS Stainless. It has a plated action as well, is cheaper, and is very corrosive resistant.

Back to your question though: Both the Abolt and XCR are nice, you won't go wrong with either, I just prefer the 700 action over the brownings.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which one feels the best in your hands. Both are top quality rifles that will last a lifetime.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my honest opinion,the a-bolt has several advantages over the remington 700. Shorter bolt throw,3 locking lugs,tang safety,the concealed detachable magizine has X spring instead of a W spring,much larger extractor giving better "bite" on cartridge rim,factory glass bedded,free floated barrel,shaped bolt handle to aid easier operation,faster lock time,better crown,straighter,better designed stock-need I keep going?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

I got a stainless stalker in 243 wssm and so far been very pleased!!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Gangly. If your not going to hunt salty coastal areas, save yourself a bunch of money and get the Rem 700 SPS in stainless steel.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM

A/X bolt hands down. Have the A bolt in 30-06, best rifle I have, shoots/looks great.

Quick Reply: Rem. 700 XCR VS. Browning Stainless Stalker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.