Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WalMart Rem 700? >

WalMart Rem 700?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WalMart Rem 700?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Default WalMart Rem 700?

Went to Wal Mart today and they had a Camo Remington 700 in .30/06. It had a Remington Scope already mounted on it (are these scopes any good?). The person did not have the key so I could handle it. Seemed to be a respectable price $477. I went to the Remington web site and Wal Mart site but cannot locate this gun. Any ideas out there? It absolutely was a 700, maybe an older version. Want to be sure I am getting something good for this price. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WalMart Rem 700?

i personally would never buy a firearm from wally world. its my belief that it isnt the same product. lesser quality
Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

i personally would never buy a firearm from wally world. its my belief that it isnt the same product. lesser quality

That is absolutely rediculous. If it is stamped with the words or logo of any firearms manufacturer, that is what it is. Period. If it says it is a 700 series Remington, then it is. Anyone who thinks WalMart or anyone else buys inferior products and re-stamps them to indicate otherwise is incorrect.
There are times that I just can't believe what I see posted on here.....
As far as the scope goes, to my knowledge, Remington does not produce or manufacture scopes. It most certainly was a scope of different manufacture.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.gunsinternational.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunbroker.com www.auctionarms.com and see if you can find it. Good luck
Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM

I wasn't planning on getting a Rem 700 at Wal Mart, but I got dragged there today for other things so I naturally drifted to the sporting goods. I couldn't find anything on a Remington scope, but I thought I saw the R on it (but I had to look through the glass case at an angle). Any ideas if this was a current model?
As far as it not being the same product, how is that possible? Unless Remington sends "factory scratch & dent" or seconds to Wal Mart, I don't see how this could be. No doubt I like the service and knowledge of a BassPro Shop or Gander Mountain, but for less money at Wal Mart does it really make a difference?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason Wallmart has better prices is they buy in bulk. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

That is absolutely rediculous. If it is stamped with the words or logo of any firearms manufacturer, that is what it is. Period. If it says it is a 700 series Remington, then it is. Anyone who thinks WalMart or anyone else buys inferior products and re-stamps them to indicate otherwise is incorrect.
As far as the scope goes, to my knowledge, Remington does not produce or manufacture scopes. It most certainly was a scope of different manufacture.

Big +1
Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Big +1
+2

The whole "Wal-Mart sells an inferior version..." thing is just one more charge (most unjust) levied by the MANY anti-Wal-Mart groups. Wal-Mart, by virtue of being the biggest kid on the block, has become the favorite whipping boy of the various anti-corporate and pro-organized labor groups (among many others). The union that managed to unionize Wal-Mart's workers (I fear the day) stands to make BILLIONS, so why wouldn't they do whatever they can to drum up anti-Walmart sentiment in an attempt to soften up the employees and the public to a union "we'll make it all better" takeover. There are also lawyers that make good livings doing nothing but suing Wal-Mart. But I digress...

Walmart, at least the ones that still sell guns, all the ones around here stopped a couple years ago, tend to simply sell the cheapest no-frills base model (like the rifles formerly known as the Rem M700 ADL synthetic) which appeal to the practical low price point customers that frequent Wal-Mart and just want to shoot a deer, not impress it. Wal-Mart direct buys huge numbers of identical items at a time that will get distributed nationwide, which allows them to negociate a much better price than Billy-Bobs Gun Shop can get ordering one or two at a time through a distributor. Wal-Mart also doesn't mark up the bigger ticket items as much as Billy-Bob would have to because they sell millions of dollars worth of other stuff every day, so selling a gun for near cost best serves to get customers in the store where they're likely to buy more than just the gun.

I bought my very first shotgun (bought with my own money, which took me a long time to save up as I recall) from Wal-Mart many years ago (had to drive 35 miles to get to one then, now we have one 5 minutes away), and I got a heck of a deal on a clearanced M700 ADL synthetic .243 for $275, and it was identical to the synthetic ADL's at Sheels and Gander Mtn that cost a lot more. I don't think you can buy just the action for that much through Brownells or Midway USA.

It boils down to your personal opinion of Wal-Mart, not the product itself. If Wal-Mart offers a better deal, well... it's your money.

Mike
Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Ive heard many claim that walmart sells seconds, thats hog-wash, its the same firearm that I can order from the same wholesalers as they do, main difference is I buy one or two of a certain model, they buy five thousand, they get a better deal and sell for less. The scope probably does say Remington, however, they did not make it, they get companies like Simmons, Bushnell and other cheaper scope makers to make them with the Remington brand, just like Winchester does. As a dealer, I really dont fault some for buying at wallyworld, problem is though, try getting any customer service from them, try getting them to mount a scope, or float the barrel or bed the action, try buying a handgun or a AR15from them, or getting any kind of shooting tips, just not happening!, bass pro and gander mountain are not much better either. If you have to, go ahead and buy from them, but if you have a local dealer give him some support too, even if you have to pay 20 or 30 dollars more, most of the time you will save in the long run if you need help down the road.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Guys,
Great feedback. No question that there is little or no service at Wally World. As I stated earlier, the person couldn't even open the case as they did not have keys. The more I have looked around I wonder if it is the BuckMaster Rem 700 chambered in .30/06.
Sadly, the local guys can't even come close to Wal Mart- and with the price of EVERYTHING rising... My local gun shop (where I bought my Glock) only seems to have the real expensive stuff. I have found BassPro to be the cheapest at $530 for a new Rem 700 SPS. The one at Wal Mart is $477 with scope- granted it is not a Leupold or the actual Rem 700 SPS (black), but it may be the BuckMaster SPS?

Quick Reply: WalMart Rem 700?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.