Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weather-proofing a rifle???? >

Weather-proofing a rifle????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weather-proofing a rifle????

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weather-proofing a rifle????

Thanks folks....

I think I'm just going to have the ol' Rem. 700 re-blued and look for something in a stainless/synthetic or laminated rifle.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Your best option in my opinion is just going with stainless and a weather resistant stock like laminated wood or fiberglass. Hogue makes some really nice rifle stocks as do several other companies.

I'm looking for something that when applied would be impervious to moisture and would be tough/thick enough to resist scratching/chipping if it gets dinged up.
Impossible in my opinion. Any coating can scratch or chip if abused. And keep in mind that any coating may protect the metal to a degree, but it still can still corrode underneath the coating. And you can't really efficiently coat the internals of the gun, but you can make them out of stainless. Especially the inside of the barrel. Coating a barrel and action may protect the outside of it, but it won't do much for the inside.

And if stainless does get scratched or something it is much easier to touch up and fix than any coating would be. As long as the scratch isn't too deep.

My opinions anyway.

Paul
Your opinion is skewed. Outdated at best...

Research, or better yet purchase and trywhat's available before you opine on something.

BT/DT carries some weight....

Do you own any firearms that are Cerekote'd or treated with UBC?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Impossible in my opinion. Any coating can scratch or chip if abused. And keep in mind that any coating may protect the metal to a degree, but it still can still corrode underneath the coating. And you can't really efficiently coat the internals of the gun, but you can make them out of stainless. Especially the inside of the barrel. Coating a barrel and action may protect the outside of it, but it won't do much for the inside.
The only way you can remove cerrakote is via bead blasting and no the finish won't corrode underneath. Ultra bore coat is all about making the inside of a barrel easier to clean and less likely to foul and as a side benefit not likely to corrode. FWIW Stainless by itself will corrode and sometimes badly.If your going to rely on all stainless with no coating better buy a weatherby SS gun either a vanguard or Mk because they are the only ones made of 410 which is stronger and less likely to corrode then 416.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks oldelkhunter.....

I didn't know that about the Weatherby rifles
Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM

You are absolutely right, Stainless will rust and gun grade s/swill rust worse than any other grade of s/s, though certainly not as fast as chrome moly. Firearms are not built with surgical grade stainless........

Cerekote is applied over a bead blasted metal, baked on and VERY tough, it will adhear to aluminum, chrome moly, and stainless as well.I've two presently coated with it, and will have anything in the future coated that I feel is in need of weather proofing.

UBC is an excellent corrosion preventative for internals, I know of a muzzleloader that's been fired during thetesting of UBCthat shows NO sign of bore corrosion. The number of shots fired without cleaning would boggle the minds of most.

UBC is available for the DIY'er to do at home, very simple to apply and well worth the effort/cost.

The best thing to do is call Doug Burche at Ultracoatings and let him tell you about it, if anyone needs to know the details.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would also have a look at walter birdsongs "BLACK T" finish. top notch flat black coating. duracoat spray on would get a good thumbs up for the do it yourselfer.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Don't own any, but I've seen them. And I have seen them chipped and scratched, just like any other coated or plated surface.

I still say stainless is your best bet. I have yet to see a stainless gun rust unless it was severely neglected. Unless you are going to coat the whole gun, internals and all it isn't weather proof, just the parts you had coated, providing it was done well and you don't accidentally chip any off at some point.

I will say that the coated guns resist scratching better than stainless does though, but stainless is pretty easy to touch up.

Paul
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony
Do you own any firearms that are Cerekote'd or treated with UBC?
Nope, I don't have that kind money and I don't abuse my guns. I find it's easier to just clean them, haven't had a problem yet. I do own a stainless rifle and a muzzle loader with stainless internals though.

Just because I don't own them though doesn't mean I haven't seen them. I have never owned a lot of things I'm pretty sure I don't want because I either didn't like what I saw or didn't see the need.

I might try the UBC in my Muzzle loader though. But if I can't get it to shoot accurately for at least 10 shots without cleaning it your going to reimburse me right? Since your pushing it like you have stock in the company.

Paul
Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 AM

I would reccommend you a good set of tires for your truck too if you were to ask....

You'd likely expect me to refund your money were you to get a flat...no?

I don't have UBC in my muzzleloader yet but I do have a bottle of it setting on the shelf, bought and paid for as if I were a paying customer, and plan to apply it to my 77/50 based on the testamony I've heard on the testing......

I do have two CF rifles both Cerekoted, and both UBC'd, with the first about three years old and having seen enough rough use to warrant a repeat purchase on the second one. I'm not exactly a part time hunter living in a nice warm/dryclimate.

I can vouch based on that experience that Cerekoted metal will not rust. Cerekote will not chip or scratch not even when beat around in the bottom of a boat or a canoe which happens often here. I can like the fact that I can hunt severalmonths in a row,in the freezing rain and snow and not give one rat's azz about needing to strip/clean/oil....

I've UBC'd, (formerly known as Micro Slick), my two rifles internals, consisting of bolt internals and chamber for the sole reason of protecting those components from corrosion and to slick up the bolt internalsas much as possible...so far that plan has worked.

I've UBC'd my two bores not soley for corrosion prevention, but mainly for rendering them immune to fouling. The boreswere completely stripped of anyprevious copper and once properly treated with UBC have exibited an extreme ease of cleaning to the tune of, a couplepatches wetted with Hoppe's 9, a bore mop wetted with Sweet's, 3 or 4 minutes of wait time, and a wet/dry wash out with alcohol. Doug Burche advertises an 80 to 100% reduction in bore fouling, I hit the 100% mark.....

So yes I can attest to the performance of both products, sourced via hard earned money from a man who does business right, and I'm happy with the return on the investment. I feel zero shame passing on my information to thethose whoask about such things in the first place.

You were saying you had no experience with this sort of stuff, right?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Spike

I have a ceramic coated muzzleloader, also known as TC Weathershield I believe. It has been great so far, but I have only had it one year.

For a gun you don't want to put a lot of money into, I have also used the Rustoleum Dark Gray wet sandable automotive primer that comes in a spray can from Walmart. When applied, it dries to a very durable matte gray/black, you can leave it like that, but if it rubs against anything it will leave a noticable bright spot. If you lightly rub it down with 0000 steel wool, it looks like a very deep gun blue that won't show the rub spots. I did this on a Remington 725 that had some light pitting on the barrel and it turned out beautiful, you can't even see where the damage was. The best part is it was only $5 and a little of my time. Make sure you completely degrease it first and it will last a long time, but can easily be touched up with another coat if it is scratched.

Quick Reply: Weather-proofing a rifle????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.