Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats a good scope for a muzzleloader? >

whats a good scope for a muzzleloader?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats a good scope for a muzzleloader?

Old 03-01-2003, 06:23 AM

Default whats a good scope for a muzzleloader?

i have a tradition buckhunter muzzleloader and want to get a good scope for it.
im knew at scope and not sure what to get ,,,,any help would be great ,,,,,
Old 03-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats a good scope for a muzzleloader?

I have used: Leupold Fixed 4 power, Bushnell elite 3000 & now have a 4200 elite (bushnell) on top of my current MLer. All worked fine. Some I know use the bushnell trophy or banner series and seem to be pleased as well.

Take a look at the Bushnell 3200 Elite if variable power scope is desired.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I used a simmons prodiamond 1x-5x on my ML for a few years and it worked great.Since then i have been upgrading all my scopes to leupold and have replaced the prodiamond with a 2x-7x var X II ML/shotgun leupold.Both these scopes worked for me. You will just have to determine how much money you want to put in a scope.Which ever one you get spend the extra money and buy good scope covers like the butler creek flip open.Good scope covers add years to the life of you scope.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:04 AM

If you want a great little scope at a great price. I would look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
Old 03-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any scope that will stand the recoil of a .30/' 06 wil work on most muzzleloaders. I am not familiar with your Buckhunter. Is it drilled and tapped for scope mounts? If so, you' re all set. If not, I have found that using a piece of Brownell' s blank .22 cal., 3/8" tipoff type flat-bottomed scope mounting base material and .22 tipoff type mounting rings (I use steel ones) will allow you to mount a scope on an octagon barrelled muzzleloader, with not problems at all. I have an old Lyman 4X All-American mounted this way on a .50 Hawken with 7/8" barrel, weight 7-1/2 pounds, that has been on this gun since at least 1975. I have fired 370-grain Maxiballs out of this gun with as much as 130 grains of Curtis & Harvey musket powder, and my scope has stayed in place to this very day, with what people would consider a .22 rimfire mount holding it!!
Old 03-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch Ebay for a straight 4X Leupold.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:47 PM

When scoping a muzzle loader you may want to consider how long of a season you have. If you are like me and have only a week to hunt you may want to look at a cheaper but also good moderately priced scope. I have a Simmons 3 X 10 X 44 Mag on my Thompson Center Black Diamond. There are others you may choose as well. If you have a long season, then you can up your status to a higher price scope as some have suggested.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whatever scope you choose a 2x7 is my favorite. I have had a 2x7 tasco world class on my muzzle loaders for 25 years and it still works great.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:17 AM

How about one of those 3x9x40 Bushnell 3200 elites that Natchez is selling for $149?Lifetime warranty,decent optics,bright,and you won' t break down and cry if the ML blow-by eats the finish up a little.

woods
Old 03-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

3-9X40 NIKON BUCKMASTER, OR BUSHNELL' S TROPHY SCOPES..

Quick Reply: whats a good scope for a muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.