Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 smooth bore - rifled choke tube >

smooth bore - rifled choke tube

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

smooth bore - rifled choke tube

Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Spike

Default smooth bore - rifled choke tube

Fawn

[align=center][/align]

I purchased a Benelli Super Black Eagle II last year and had considered purchasing a Rifled Slug Barrel for deer hunting. My go to slug gun now is a Remington 870 Express with a Rifled Barrel. Unfortunately there aren't any aftermarket companies that make a Rifled Slug Barrel (or at least I haven't noticed any) formy Benelli SBEIIso I would be stuck purchasing it from a Benelli dealer. I will not fork out $500+ for a Rifled Slug Barrel. I have heard some good succes with guys using Rifled Choke Tubes in a smooth bore barrel and shooting Rifled Slugs. This seems to be a much more reasonable alternative. My other main use for my Benelli is Turkey Hunting. I would like to know what you guys think. I understand that if I use a Rifled Choke tube in my smooth bore barrel that I need to use Rifled Slugs, whereas if I were to shoot slugs through aRifled Slug barrel thatI wouldneed to use Sabot Slugs.

Those that have used a Rifled Choke Tube in a smooth bore barrel or know of someone that did what did you think? Any harm in using a Rifled Choke Tube in my Smooth Bore Barrel then turning around and using the same gun/barrel for Turkey Hunting? Any of you tried this with a SBEII. I would also like to know what Rifled Choke Tubes you like and with what slug combination.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: smooth bore - rifled choke tube

What's wrong with keeping your 870 as a dedicated deer rifle, since it already has a rifled barrel. I have an 870 with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. It wears a Nikon Pro-staff 2-7x 32mm scope, and shoots Hornady SST sabots really well. I shot this 200 pound doe right through the heart at 110 yards.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/huntingthenorth/P1010002.jpg

Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot sabot slugs thru a rifled choke tube with no problems,as well as the foster type "rifled" slugs. All I can say is to try a rifled choke tube. You might be plesantly suprized how well it shoots sabot slugs. I would try a rifled tube in a heartbeat-especially the extended tubes.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You can shoot sabot slugs thru a rifled choke tube with no problems,as well as the foster type "rifled" slugs. All I can say is to try a rifled choke tube. You might be plesantly suprized how well it shoots sabot slugs. I would try a rifled tube in a heartbeat-especially the extended tubes.
The use of a rifled tube on a smoothbore barrel for shooting slugs is an "on-again-off again" sort of thing. I have seen some such guns that were every bit as accurate as any fully-rifled barrel, and some that would not shoot at all. I think it is certainly worth a try, but you may find it necessary to try quite a few different slug loads before you find a satisfactory one. I tend to think a load that uses a pretty tough sabot might work best. This is because the projectile has reached a pretty high speed by the time it slams into the rifled portion of the bore, and the sabot is subjected to considerable stress as the rifling tries to bite into it and start it spinning.