Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 35 Caliber Rounds >

35 Caliber Rounds

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

35 Caliber Rounds

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default 35 Caliber Rounds

Ok a few days ago I was looking for a good "Mid Bore" rifle to hunt all of NA with. But the MDWFP came out with a new law that allows all single shot, break open rifles in 35 caliber or larger as part of thier new "Primative Weapons" season.. So that means I will be buying a new barrell for the Encore in either. But since I don't reload.. Ammo is a concern. What are your thoughts. Again this will be mostly used on Deer, with a slight chance of larger game later on down the road.

35 Rem - Ammo readily available
35 Whelen - Somewhat available
350 Remington Mag - Haven't seen any ammo around.
358 Win. - Can't even find someone that can order it.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35 Caliber Rounds

You might check to see if they make 35 whelen barrels in encore-it's a winner.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

They do.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

The 35 rem is a awesome deer round. But if your looking to hunt with anything bigger than deer. Id go with the whelen. .
Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do not reload then the 35 Remington or the 45-70 would be the way to go.

The Whelen and the 358 Winchester are both dandy's. They are both good long distance cartridges with the 200 grain bullet. I have a 358 Winchester(Encore pisol). The barrel was made by MGM. However I handload. Tom.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 350 Remington outclasses the 35 Whelen but only a little. So I'd go with the 35 whelen only b/c it is based on the 30/06 case and ammo will be easier to find loaded, and cheaper to load. I would suggest that even thought you don't currently reload you look into it. It is not that big an investment, and although it's not a HUGE savings, it is a savings. And you have the satisfaction of cooking your own home-brewed loads.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

35 Whelen. It is powerful enough for everything in NA including grizzley. Basic ammo runs around $30 per box. I see it available at all the larger local gun shops.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM

You don't need to reload. Contact www.reedsammo.com for any kind of cartridge you can think of or dream up. Very high quality at decent prices.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 PM

I live near Baton Rouge, LA and try to keep up with the Miss. hunting laws. It's my understanding that the single shot has to have a patent date prior to 1900's and the minimum caliber is .38. I copied this from their web page:

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind and type manufactured prior to 1900, and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons. Sidearms are not allowed during primitive weapon season.

Here's the link: http://home.mdwfp.com/license.aspx
Old 05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: idunno

I live near Baton Rouge, LA and try to keep up with the Miss. hunting laws. It's my understanding that the single shot has to have a patent date prior to 1900's and the minimum caliber is .38. I copied this from their web page:

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind and type manufactured prior to 1900, and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons. Sidearms are not allowed during primitive weapon season.

Here's the link: http://home.mdwfp.com/license.aspx
The law just changed about a week ago.. You can now use any Single Shot Break open with an exposed hammer in 35 caliber or larger during the PW season. Also youths 15 and under can use an legal centerfire rifle 22 caliber or larger during PW season. These are both new developments..

I have decided to go with the 35 Whelen.. But now the question is what barrell length.. My encore has a 24" 308 on it now.. But do you think I could get by with a 22" or 23" on the Whelen without giving up to much performance out of that looooonnnnggggg case?"

Quick Reply: 35 Caliber Rounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.