Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold VXIII vs VXII >

Leupold VXIII vs VXII

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold VXIII vs VXII

Old 02-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Leupold VXIII vs VXII

OK, What is the difference between the two? And what makes the VXIII better? The only difference that I have seen is the price and the wider gold ring.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:09 AM

Default RE: Leupold VXIII vs VXII

That' s a fine question. I don' t know; I' m looking forward to the answer.
EKM
Old 02-25-2003, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The differences between the 2 are that the VXIII has a one piece tube and is multicoated on all lense surfaces. The other is a 2 piece tube and has Multicoat on the exterior lense surfaces only the interior coating is something they used on the old VARI x II. The VXIII will be brighter than the VXII and should be a lighter scope when comparing other Leupold scopes of similiar power and objective size and will probably have better eye relief. You can find these answers in the FAQ in Leupolds home page. They both have click adjustments. I bought a 3x9x40 VXII this year and was not impressed by it at all. If I continue to buy Leupolds it will be the VX III series.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:57 AM

oldelkhunter nailed it,I posted a link that explains the differences on their website but he has covered all the bases.

http://www.leupold.com/products/Scop...ure_Matrix.htm

woods
Old 02-26-2003, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the good info. I just figured that you guys could explain it to where I could understand, hehe. THANKS!!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:09 AM

wish i would of seen this before i bought my vx2 yesterday... but im stiill really happy with the vx2, i went to the range today and it was crappy dark weather and i could see just as good if the sun was out... i can just emagine how much better that vx3 must be in low light...
Old 02-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Don' t fret, lost arrow. Your VXII will serve you well for many, many years. I' ve got one pushing 14 years of age on my .270 Wby Mag and it has never let me down. It never has lost its zero, and I don' t think I' ve ever run across a situation where I would have been able to take a shot with a " better" scope that I didn' t take with it. [:-]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:22 AM

I think this reply that a member over on HA just recieved from Leupold really explains it all concerning the various Leupold scopes and their lens coatings.

The V-X-I scope has the same coating as the Vari-X-II scopes that we just discontinued. The coating is magnesium fluoride on all lens surfaces. This will give you a light transmission specification of 84%.
The V-X-II (not Vari-X-II) has magnesium fluoride on the internall lens surfaces and multi-coat IV on the exterior lens surface. This will give you light transmission of 86%.
The Vari-X-III has muliti-coat lens coating on all lens surfaces. The light transmission is 91%.
The M8 6X42 has multicoat lens coating on all lens surfaces. The light transmission is 91%.
You can see these comparisons on our web site if you look at " products" and then click on the red and black icon that says " compare features" . Some manufactures will say that the light transmision for their scopes is 99%. This is the light transmission per lens surface. The percentages that I just gave you is the actuall light transmission that will meet you eye. Not per lens surface.

woods
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 PM

Thank you very much Woodsy,
Now, is the difference in price really worth it? VX II vs VXIII that is. I have a VXII and I have had no probs and dont ever think I will, but the next scope that I buy is why I am going through this. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:15 AM

The higher up the scope quality ladder you climb the less difference you get for money spent.I would opt for the VariX lll myself but as you can see from Leupolds own figures its not a huge difference between them.Its just once you get used to the higher end optics it becomes harder to drop back to less even if its a small amount.

woods