Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Questions: Savage Bolt Actions >

Questions: Savage Bolt Actions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions: Savage Bolt Actions

Old 01-19-2002, 09:37 PM

Default Questions: Savage Bolt Actions

I'm looking into buying a hunting rifle to replace my mosin nagant 91/59. Savage bolt actions have a reputation for value, dependability and accuracy. I am leaning heavily towards getting one. I do have a few questions about them though.

1. What is the difference between the 110, 111, 112 and 116 actions? Not the entire rifle, just the action (including the trigger group). If you take a look at the Remington Model 700 and Model Seven action, there are obvious, visible differences. Just looking at them I can't see a difference between the various Savage actions. If there is any difference between the Savage actions is any one of then "better" than the rest?

2. Have any of you had any problems with the detachable magazines on Savage bolt action rifles? Would I be better off getting a model with a blind (non-detachable, internal) magazine? I don't remember where I heard/read it but someone once suggested that the blind magzine versions are more rigid and therefore more accurate. Any of you have any experience to back this up or disprove it?

3. Is the scope that is provided with the Savage package rifles any good? I think it is a 3-9x32mm Simmons 8 point (not absolutely sure though). This is not an expensive scope and the general consensus on rifle scopes seems to be "get the best you can afford".

Thanks in advance to any savage owners or users who reply.

Kevin Murphy
Newfoundland, Canada
Old 01-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions: Savage Bolt Actions

DaNewf, sorry i can't answer your specific questions, but i can try to tell you how much I love my 40+ yr old model 23aa.
Its a bolt (rimfire) with detatchable magazine that i've never had a problem with, thousands of rounds and its still smooth as silk, cleans up nice, with fantastic groups.
If they still build them as quality as they used to it would be hard to go wrong with a Savage.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Savage 110 30-06 combo about 2 years ago. It has the internal magazine, and I like it just fine. As for the scope, mine came with a Bushnell 3-9x32. As a matter of fact I went out today and shot it. I went out to the BLM land with no benches and was able to get about 1 1/2" groups at about 125 yards. Not bad at all for an out of the box rifle with factory ammo. I am deffinately pleased with this rifle and would recommend it to you. I would, however get a different scope to put on it, or get a rifle that doesn't come in a package and get a little better quality scope. I'm planning to get a Leupold as soon as I can afford it. I'm not sure of the differences between the models, but I THINK that they are are pretty much the same, just minor differences.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

.You will be suprised,the bolt in my 111 7 mag savage,has a good smooth tight bolt,but it is new,dont no in about two or three years they say they get loose......but not bad for a 175$$$$doller gun...

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-20-2002, 08:20 AM
O/U

I have the Savage 112 in 223. Its bolt action in single shot. Fantastic firearm but had to get rid of the scope.

When the son beats the father they both win !!!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Basically, in Savage, you have 2 actions, long and short. Of these 2 type actions, you have the standard blind magazine repeaters, removeable magazines, and single shots.

Most have the standard Savage trigger, which is not very good out of the box, but can be adjusted easily by any competent gunsmith, to a good trigger. Certain tactical and long range models have the Sharp Shooter trigger starting in 2002. Safeties are the same on every model.

For 99% of most hunting situations, the standard blind magazine will be all in the world you will need. If you were looking for a serious long range varmint rig, the maybe one of the single shot models. I would replace the scope on the package gun with a higher quality scope, something like a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40, that would not bust the bank.