Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys >

12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys

Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys

I will be out Turkey hunting in the next few weeks.I am looking for some input on Turkey Choke/Ammo combinations that work well. I have a beretta semi-auto that will be used and it has Mobil Chokes . Anyone have good ideas on this?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
MagnumMan308

Default RE: 12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys

Cant speak for choke tubes for the Beretta, as I hunt with a Browning (Brilley/Browning full strut turkey choke in it), but I would look hard at the Brilley line, I've had good luck with them.

As for loads, I just got done doing some spring turkey patterning with said browning, and the clear winner was the Federal Flight Control load. I tested alot of different loads, inclufing winchester, remington, non-fc federal, and even Hevi-13, and the FC Federal took the prize. At 50yds, the 3-1/2" 2oz #6 feds were putting 45 pellets on a 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper. Closest anything else came was 32, and most ran around 15-20. 50yards is a LONG way to be shooting turkeys, but that load will get in done, and it'll be a meatgrinder at anything closer.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

As for loads, I just got done doing some spring turkey patterning with said browning, and the clear winner was the Federal Flight Control load. I tested alot of different loads, inclufing winchester, remington, non-fc federal, and even Hevi-13, and the FC Federal took the prize.

A friend of mine who shoots an 11/87 had the same or similiar results to what you had. He has since sold the gun and didn't remember what choke tube he had used. Local Dealer is trying to sell me Undertaker brand choke tube(High Density) model . My semi-auto has 3" chamber.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

OldElk,

Truth be told, unless you are one of those guys that wants a specific pattern at a specific distance just about any choke tube will do. You will hear a lot of hemming and hawing from folks about this or that. Those are the guys who are trying to hit turkeys way out there like 50-60 yards. If you limit yourself to say 35 yards any tube will do.

As for shot I prefer the 4's. They will hit a bit harder if you push your distance than a 5 or 6 will.

I would pick up a choke tube and pick up a box of 4's, 5's and 6's and see which one produces the most balance prettiest picture.

Have fun.

Tom
Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The girlfriend shoots my 390 duck gun for turkeys. Bought a Jellyhead for it... all I've ever tried.

Shoots very nicely with Rem Premier 3" 1 3/4oz HV #6. Green, gold and yellow box. Tried about 7 different shells out of it... that one won out.

If you want to spend a bit more for something probably much better.... take a look at Pure Gold... they have a money back satisfaction guarentee... so you'll either have a winner or be out nothing but a bit of time and a few test shells.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shotguns can be as picky as rifles about what ammo they like. That said however, I have had regular copper plated lead Winchester Supreme number 5's (black shells) pattern better out of more different shotguns than any other shell. Federal number 5's with the flight control wad would be a close second. I'd be willing to bet one or the other would serve you well. I have also had good luck with Kicks Gobblin Thunder chokes and Primos Jellyhead chokes. Good luck with your turkey hunting.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shotguns can be as picky as rifles about what ammo they like. That said however, I have had regular copper plated lead Winchester Supreme number 5's (black shells) pattern better out of more different shotguns than any other shell. Federal number 5's with the flight control wad would be a close second. I'd be willing to bet one or the other would serve you well. I have also had good luck with Kicks Gobblin Thunder chokes and Primos Jellyhead chokes. Good luck with your turkey hunting.
I'll have to try the Supremes and Federals tomorrow when I go pattern this thing. Never been Turkey hunting this should be interesting hopefully it's not too addictive I don't have much free time anymore...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Never been Turkey hunting this should be interesting hopefully it's not too addictive I don't have much free time anymore...
You're screwed then.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey oldelk..
I second what SwampCollie wrote. I've heard turkey hunting refered to as "poor man's elk hunting" I've never hunted elk, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that you won't need a pack horse to carry your quarry back to the truck. Have fun, and don't say you weren't warned. Just remember, there's no cure for the fever...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oldelk - I too have had good luck with the Win Supreme in both the 12 and the 20 ga. (Both Rem 870s). I shoot 4s or 5s out of the 12 and 5s out of the 20.
Another good load that I've used is Federal Premium 3 1/2" in 4s & 5s. And although I killed a few turkey with them they are really stout loads. Pattering my shotgun with these wasn't fun.

Quick Reply: 12 gauge Choke Tube for Turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.