Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sako A7 What is going on ? >

Sako A7 What is going on ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako A7 What is going on ?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sako A7 What is going on ?

Just a few months ago everyone on here was loving Sako's, ie the sako 75, which my understanding has been replaced by the sako 85? is there something wrong with the sako 85? I never heard anything bad about sako's til recently, my point, if you want a sako, get an 85, less there is something wrong now with the 85's that wasn't previously wrong on the 75's.

I do understand rifle company's wanting a piece of the cheaper market, but my rifle preference is spend the money and get something nice, going from $700 to $1200 to me is a worthwhile jump, and if the rifle is much finer its hardly a decision. Also I think when buying from a particular brand, you should buy the rifle that made the company......ie if you get a weatherby, get a Mk V, if you get a sako, get a 75 or 85 now?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a few months ago everyone on here was loving Sako's, ie the sako 75, which my understanding has been replaced by the sako 85? is there something wrong with the sako 85? I never heard anything bad about sako's til recently, my point, if you want a sako, get an 85, less there is something wrong now with the 85's that wasn't previously wrong on the 75's.

As far as i know people still do love their "sakos" Only reason the 85 came out was to give Beretta a reason to jackup prices 300 dollars and shakeup the market. One of beretta's biggest dealers who has known me for a long time confided the same. Given that it is still a fine rifle. The A7 on the other hand is a &$%@ of a rifle. Oh dang I forgot it has metal feed lips on its plastic magazine and has the 75 action and bolt(plastic shroud)so it must be worth 300 dollars more then a Tikka. Marketing people are a riot.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

As far as i know people still do love their "sakos" Only reason the 85 came out was to give Beretta a reason to jackup prices 300 dollars and shakeup the market. One of beretta's biggest dealers who has known me for a long time confided the same. Given that it is still a fine rifle. The A7 on the other hand is a &$%@ of a rifle. Oh dang I forgot it has metal feed lips on its plastic magazine and has the 75 action and bolt(plastic shroud)so it must be worth 300 dollars more then a Tikka. Marketing people are a riot.
Come on now, tell us how you really feel.....
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on now, tell us how you really feel.....

I know at times that I am too subtle
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the design of the stock of my Sako 75’s much better then the 85’s and for this reason will not buy a Sako model 85...
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Spike

Now this is 100% from the way I think, it may be wrong or right, probably somewhere in the middle. I think a rifle NEEDS a recoil lug, the 85's don't have one and that bothers me, so when I got ready to get another sako (got a 7mm08 in a McMillian stock, great gun) I looked around and picked up a grey wolf 75 in 308. I've had a time getting this thing to shoot, so I dropped it in a richards stock (stainless on rosewood laminate, good looking match up) and bedded it and I've got a gun that will do 1" or less @100 which suites me just fine. I didn't bed the laminate that came with the gun because I didn't want to change it, in case I decide to sell the stock or gun. Oh I've got a tikka 338 fed that will be in a richards stock in a month or so, currently it's sub moa. A tikka 6.5 x 55 that dearly loves 125 bullets. Oh did I mention the Sako 85's don't have a recoil lug and it just don't sound right.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now this is 100% from the way I think, it may be wrong or right, probably somewhere in the middle. I think a rifle NEEDS a recoil lug, the 85's don't have one and that bothers me, so when I got ready to get another sako (got a 7mm08 in a McMillian stock, great gun) I looked around and picked up a grey wolf 75 in 308. I've had a time getting this thing to shoot, so I dropped it in a richards stock (stainless on rosewood laminate, good looking match up) and bedded it and I've got a gun that will do 1" or less @100 which suites me just fine. I didn't bed the laminate that came with the gun because I didn't want to change it, in case I decide to sell the stock or gun. Oh I've got a tikka 338 fed that will be in a richards stock in a month or so, currently it's sub moa. A tikka 6.5 x 55 that dearly loves 125 bullets. Oh did I mention the Sako 85's don't have a recoil lug and it just don't sound right.
Last Sako I purchased was a 300 wsm greywolf model 75. I too am bothered by the recoil lug arrangement on the 85 and I like the feel of the 75 stock better. Nevertheless both are great guns. One is just not my cup of tea. The greywolf shot under an inch with anything I fed it but the gun was too heavy. I purchased a finnlight stock and put it on there and probably chopped one lb off the weight. Last time I took it to the range it shot 3 rounds touching in 2 consecutive groups.I found a Mcmillan Sako 75 in stock at Mcmillan and purchased it. NOw this is the stock all Sako synthetic rifles need to come from the factory yet. I will skim bed it and check barrel clearance and see why this will not be as accurate as the previous 2 stocks.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: rhans53

I have to clear up a misconception here...the 85 does have a recoil lug, just not in the traditional sense. It'sgot two parts...a machined protrusion that seats into a steel bedding plate in the stock, and amachined groove in the receiver into which a protrusion from the stock sits(similar to a Weaver-style scope base and ring). Think of it as a two-part lug, rather than a single beefy plate as in thetraditional sense.

I'm not sure that this isn't every bitas strong if not stronger than the traditional design. It's got to be lighter, and I have no doubt that the engineers at Sako calculated the forcesacting on this design and determined it to be sufficient. I'm happy to post pics if anyone would like to see the design.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Thanks Dominick! I am new to this forum, but I am certainly not new to firearms or hunting. I do not buy guns to sit in a glass case to be admired and looked at. My guns to me are tools that I use to accomplish things. In the case of my new SakoA7 SS.270win it is a tool I use for one purpose, to kill whitetail deer as accurate as possible. The tool I have been using for 15 plus years has been a Remington 700 .270win black synthetic stock and it has done apretty good job. I always liked the smoothness of Sako's actions and I always heard they were very accurate, the one thing I did not like was the grooved receivers for scope mounting. So when I saw the Sako A7 in the 2008 Beretta catalogue with a 5shot MOA guarantee for less that $1000.00 I ordered one. I don't care that the magazine is made of plastic as long as it feeds the cartridges when I cycle the action and it does. What I got is a very light weight, very accurate rifle (Tool) that gets the job done for me.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: richardca99
I'm not sure that this isn't every bitas strong if not stronger than the traditional design. It's got to be lighter, and I have no doubt that the engineers at Sako calculated the forcesacting on this design and determined it to be sufficient. I'm happy to post pics if anyone would like to see the design.
I wouldn't mind seeing some illustrations.

Thanks

Tom