Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 270 Winchester Accuracy? >

270 Winchester Accuracy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 Winchester Accuracy?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 270 Winchester Accuracy?

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

The only way I can say it might sound rude, but please believe me .... I am not intending it that way...

The .270 is a fine rifle round, and it is very accurate. BUT.... almost any round chambered today is more accurate than most people can shoot. I doubt that your inherent ability is more accurate than the rifle round you want, so I would suggest you buy whatever you want without worrying about the rounds accuracy ...... then practice so you can be as good as the round you are shooting. More often than not, inaccuracy lies in the shooter ....not the rifle or round.

God Bless

MET

I don't think you are being rude just honest, and I agree with you to a point. However let'slook at some of the rifles produced today. Many rifles come from the factory with flimsy synthetic stocks and 7 to 8 pound triggers. The triggers alone do not lend themselves to exceptional accuracy. I do agree with you though that most shooters are less accurate than their rifles or cartridges.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if you talk to anyone out west or outfitters they usually recommend .270, 7mm mag, as a minimum starting point,
which are some of the most popular cartridges for big game and flat shooting accuracy.

I shoot a .270 for longer range / open shooting (scoped rifle) and would use this caliber for deer, carribou and even elk.
I also use a .30-06 as my open sight / brush gun and would most likely use this for bear, elk, moose (heavier bullet's).

The 7mm mag is a good bridge between the two calibers I hunt with, if you only want one gun.
A little heavier bullets are available with some extra gun powder for knock down power.
However, a good placed shot will take down any of the mentioned game animals easily.
If you go with the .270, I have found the best bullet weight to be .130 grains for accuracy.
Most of the people I know agree with this weight and have also read a few articles with this disclaimer.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

The only way I can say it might sound rude, but please believe me .... I am not intending it that way...

The .270 is a fine rifle round, and it is very accurate. BUT.... almost any round chambered today is more accurate than most people can shoot. I doubt that your inherent ability is more accurate than the rifle round you want, so I would suggest you buy whatever you want without worrying about the rounds accuracy ...... then practice so you can be as good as the round you are shooting. More often than not, inaccuracy lies in the shooter ....not the rifle or round.

God Bless

MET

I don't think you are being rude just honest, and I agree with you to a point. However let'slook at some of the rifles produced today. Many rifles come from the factory with flimsy synthetic stocks and 7 to 8 pound triggers. The triggers alone do not lend themselves to exceptional accuracy. I do agree with you though that most shooters are less accurate than their rifles or cartridges.
Well, that may or may not be true about the gun being more accurate than the shooter. Let's take the example of an out-of-the-box gun that shoots 1.5" @ 100 yds. with factory ammo Brand X. You try factory ammo Brand Y and it shoots 2.5" groups. Now you work up a good handload for that rifle and it now shoots sub-MOA regularly.
So what we have determined now is that the shooter has the capability to shoot better than the gun initially did with factory ammo. This has been proven by the sub-inch groups it is capable of producing with hand-crafted ammo tailored to that gun. Basically it boils down to the fact that the shooter was, indeed, capable of shooting better than the rifle would group with the factory ammo.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I've dumped lots of moose and black bear with a 130 gr Hornady handload over the years with no complaints or losses........................Harold
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

I guess my question should have been worded just a tad different. What I was thinking was: why are there not as many "match grade" bullets availablefor the 270when compared tothe .308 bullets? Anyway I will soon find out how accurate a 270 can be as I just ordered one!!
You keep mentioning "match grade" bullets. Are you intending to shoot competitions or hunt with your 270?

What 270 did you order?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

So what we have determined now is that the shooter has the capability to shoot better than the gun initially did with factory ammo. This has been proven by the sub-inch groups it is capable of producing with hand-crafted ammo tailored to that gun. Basically it boils down to the fact that the shooter was, indeed, capable of shooting better than the rifle would group with the factory ammo.
When shooting from a benchrest, testing the gun/load, I agree. But shooting from a benchrest and shooting from field positions are two different theings when it comes to evaluating how well a person can shoot. This of course has nothing to do with the accuracy, or lack thereof, attributable to the rifle/cartridge combination.....

But of course, the more accurate we can make the rifle/cartridge combination, the morewe reduce one of the variables that adversely affects our ability to place a bullet where we want it.