Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo >

A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo

Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Default A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo

Hi all... just joined the site and I need to ask if anybody can help me find the "factory sweet spot" for my Browning A-Bolt w/BOSS in 300 WSM and with 180 gr. XP3 Winchester Supreme ammo. I don't want to have to shoot up $150 in ammo to zero my rifle for the XP3s.

Unfortunately, Browning does not list the factory sweet spot for that round. Has anybody herewith an A-Bolt w/BOSS tried to dial in the 180 gr. XP3 bullet in 300 WSM. If so, pls relate your experience.

TIA, cd.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo

Boss systems come with reccomended settings by brand/bullet weight, so check your booklet. I'm considering just taking my boss off and finding a load the bare barrel likes. Though my .300 does shoot great with it.

Maybe can find boss settings at their website....
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Boss systems come with reccomended settings by brand/bullet weight, so check your booklet. I'm considering just taking my boss off and finding a load the bare barrel likes. Though my .300 does shoot great with it.

Nope, not in the booklet... bought mine~2001...before XP3s came out... and Browning doesn't list that loading at their website... and they don't plan to either. [:@]

BTW, salukipv1, Igraduated SIU-C in '74 with an Associate's degreeand in '80 with a Bachelor's degreein Engineering. Lived there from '72 to '81. Left to come work out here in the Seattle area. Are you living there now?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a 3 round group,go 1 whole number higher,repeat while watching group size to shrink,then fine tune to get final adjustment by 1/10 value.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Shoot a 3 round group,go 1 whole number higher,repeat while watching group size to shrink,then fine tune to get final adjustment by 1/10 value.
Thanks, stalkingbear... I understand that approach. I was just hoping to shortcut it a bit.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM

They shoot similar to Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. Try the setting for them and you should be close. You will prob have to fine tune from there.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

RetaksBrowning doesn't list any winchester BOSS loadsweet spotsfor the 300 abolt(exception the M1000 eclipse).

Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I am not sure if you have considered this, but I bought my .270 w/ boss about 15 or 16 years ago. I loved being able to dial it in, but I did not like the "report" of the shot. For about 30$ I bought the BOSS CR ( conventional recoil ) and I still get the ballistic optimization, but it shoots with standard recoil and no loud report or extra muzzle blast. I have never swapped it back out. I love the gun the way it is now, and it is a tack driver.

God Bless

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 AM

The Browning website says around 4 should be right. Here is the link to it.

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=109
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

The Browning website says around 4 should be right. Here is the link to it.

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=109
Retaks... regarding a setting of "around 4", not sure what you are looking at... here's a C&P from the table you linked... for my caliber.

300 WSM
150gr. BST
Winchester

300 WSM
180gr. PP
Winchester

300 WSM
180gr. FS
Winchester

The first number is for an A-Bolt and the second number is for a BAR.

If I follow your previous recommendation that the 180 gr. XP3s are similar to the 150 gr. BSTs, I should start at a setting of 1.0, correct?

TIA, cd.

Quick Reply: A-Bolt w/BOSS and XP3 Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.