Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 243 vs 30-30 >

243 vs 30-30

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 vs 30-30

Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Default 243 vs 30-30

A friend and I went to the range yesterday, and after many years I finally got to shoot a 270 and a 30-06 again. They both had heavy recoil. To me, neither was fun to shoot because of this recoil. I've been looking to purchase a high power rifle, and I am now considering a 243. Although, I don't believe this would work to hunt pig. A 30-30 is also a consideration, but I've had a few people tell me that the new Winchesters and Marlins are notwhat they used to be. From theresearch I've done, I believe the 30-30 wouldbe good for almost all of myneeds. Any suggestions
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 243 vs 30-30

I have both a .243 and a .30-30. If you're expectingto shoot more than 150 yards regularly, I'd opt for the .243. In terms of knockdown power, they are very similar out to 150 yards at which the .243 gains an advantage. If it were me, I'd go with the .243 regardless of range as you have more bullet selection and can hunt anything from small game to Deer sized game with no problem. The .243 will easily take a hog.

Also a .243 bolt action or single shot is inherently more accurate than the .30-30
Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems that you may be a little recoil sensitive. Not to worry. Lots of people are. If shooting larger cartridges bothers you, by all means don't force yourself to do it. I'm not real sure a 30-30 is going to help much in a situation like this. Your idea of going to a smaller caliber sounds logical, and I'm sure you will want to compare the recoil of several gun/cartridge combinations to see what you best can live with. .243's are generally adequate guns in the hands of an adequate shooter. Bullet type and placement are critical, as with nearly everything else. I would suggest that you may want to try something in between the .243 and the 30-30, such as a .257 Roberts, .260 Rem., or 7mm-08. Recoil should seem noticeably less to you than the '06 or .270.
Just gives you more reasons to spend more time at the range........
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find a used Savage 340 in 30/30 and recoil is very light, its an accurate gun and you can load any bullet up to about 170 gr. in it that you choose since it is a box magazine and not a tube fed gun. To me, it would just seem that the bigger bullet would only be an advantage on a large hog and the 30 caliber bullet selection is huge if you are a reloader. With the 30-30 you are still limited to under 200 yards if you are well practiced with the gun, 150 if you are just an average shooter. Another round to consider if you like leverguns is a Marlin in 44 Magnum. Light recoil, heavy hitter but limited to about 100 yards or less.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Dean, a 30/30 can kick you as much as most 270s and 30/06, thanks mostly to their stock design. A 270 is not considered a heavy recoiling rifle but of course this is a subjective opinion and no two shooters feel it the same. I have had a 30/06 now and then make me see stars but always when I'm shooting heavy bullets off a bench.

And herein may be your problem. Shooting a rifle at a range......and I am assuming you mean firing it off a bench.....is the WORST position possible for recoil. If you look at a guy shooting off a bench, he is almost always sitting down, leaning forward at about a 45' angle and totally braced the rifle. In this position a shooter is going to soak up every ounce of punishment that a rifle can dish out. Not only this, but the butt plate of the rifle is moving up towards the top of his shoulderand not down on the lower muscles where it will be felt less.

If you took the same rifle and fired it standing up or almost any other position, you would find the felt recoil considerably less.

But anyway. You asked about a .243 VS 30/30. Most shooters won't even say them in the same breath. The 30/30 has killed a lot of game and it will keep on doing it. But the two rifles are like night and day. The 30/30 is a slow moving, short range rifle with a trajectory like throwing a rock compared to other rifles. The .243 is very fast and flat. Basically it is a varmint rifle that will shoot bullets heavy enough to work pretty good on deer sized game.

Frankly, neither rifle you mention would be my suggestion for you. I would almost suggest you get yourself a .22/250. These guns are almost recoil free, even off a bench, and yet they can kill like the hammer of Thor anything up to deer sized animals. They are very loveable rifles because of their lightening speed, flat trajectory and absent recoil. Shoot one before you make your pick. Talk to some guys who have one.

Another great rifle for you would be a 250/3000...if you can find one. In fact, I wonder if you would even be OK with a 25/06. Possibly the new 7mm/08s would be a good rifle for you.

There are lots of things you can do to any rifle to make it kick you less. Maybe the rifles you shot just didn't fit you very well. With your own rifle you can have it cut to your proper length and have a healthy recoil pad fitted to the stock. Adding a good scope and steel rings and bases will add another pound weight to your rifle. These two things that most people do anyway also reduce recoil.

My only concern for your rifle selection is your comment about "shooting pigs." What do you mean here and how much are you going to be doing this as opposed to deer and varmint hunting??? If you are really going to be hunting varmints and deer 99% of the time, then a 243 would be fine as would the .22/250. Large wild pigs or boars can have very thick, tough hide which can be problematic for light fast moving bullets like .22 and 243s.

Anyway, just some things to think about. Mostly I believe you just need to shoot some more and different rifles and think about this a bit more. After all preparation can be half the fun. Good hunting on whatever your choice.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dean790

A friend and I went to the range yesterday, and after many years I finally got to shoot a 270 and a 30-06 again. They both had heavy recoil. To me, neither was fun to shoot because of this recoil. I've been looking to purchase a high power rifle, and I am now considering a 243. Although, I don't believe this would work to hunt pig. A 30-30 is also a consideration, but I've had a few people tell me that the new Winchesters and Marlins are notwhat they used to be. From theresearch I've done, I believe the 30-30 wouldbe good for almost all of myneeds. Any suggestions
The .30/30 will do what you want, but has decided range limitations. The .243 will work for any game lighter than the hugest bull elk, moose, or big bears. My daughter-in-law kills elk every fall with a .243! But for game like elk, boar or smaller "hogs", you mightneed to use a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition or TSX to penetrate the gristle plates hogs are armored with.

Other possibilities include the .260 Reminton, 6.5X55mm, and the 7/'08. These rounds out-perform the .30/30 and .243, but have manageable recoil. If you can find a good .250 Savage or .257 Roberts, these would be ideal, but IMO they both need handloaded ammo to attain their potential. Or you could get a .270 or .308 Win. with a good Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and shoot it enough to overcome your recoil sensitivity.....
Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

".... and after many years I finally got to shoot a 270 and a 30-06 again. They both had heavy recoil...."
Some thing(s) is (are) way wrong, I'd wager mostly likely simple fundamentals.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If for no other reason than more versatility I would go with .243,.260,or my personal fav,the 7mm08. The .260 and 7mm08 don't kick noticably more than .243 but do a lot better job in my opinion(with same shot placement).
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Though I shoot larger calibers (270, 308, and 9.3x62), in truth, I could limit myself to my Marlin 336SS 30-30 and never be undergunned. I would bet that if most American hunter were honest with themselves that they could do the same. I have killed several deer with a 243 and MANY deer and hogs with a 30-30, and I can't see where you can go wrong either way.

If you decide on a 30-30, be sure to try the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM

".... and after many years I finally got to shoot a 270 and a 30-06 again. They both had heavy recoil...."
Some thing(s) is (are) way wrong, I'd wager mostly likely simple fundamentals.

EKM, you are absolutelycorrect, there is something, "way wrong". Until yesterday, I had not shot a 270 or 06 in approx. 30 years. When I was a kid, my dad used to encourage me to shoot his friend's guns every time we visited them. I must admit that I am not a hunter or shooter of high power rifles. To be honest, I have never been deer, hog or elk hunting. This is my first year to obtain a hunting/ fishing license. My main reason for becoming a member of the HuntingNet forum is to learn about game hunting and thenecessary equipment to become an entry level hunter. I am thinking the 243 may be the best bolt gunfor a novice level like myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.