HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/229572-ammo-h-r-ultra-slug-hunter.html)

riner69er 01-28-2008 04:43 PM

Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

I recently purchased an 12 ga. H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I put a Bushnell 3200 Firefly scope on it, and picked up a few boxes of Winchester Supreme XP3 sabot slugs (2-3/4" 300 gr. 2000 fps) to go sight it in.

I was ok (not great) at 50 yards, and all over the place at 100. Since then I have read some bad reviews on this Winchester ammo, and have also read that this particular shotgun can be real picky with the type of ammo it likes.

I have read that Federal Premium Barnes Expanders, Lightfield Commander, and Hornady SSTs are better options than the Winchester.

My question is - has anyone here had some experience with any or all of these ammo brands with a slug gun? What's your opinion of where I should go from here?

Thanks in advance

Paul L Mohr 01-28-2008 04:54 PM

RE: Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

None of those loads worked well in mine, the federals were horrible as a matter of fact. Mine really liked winchester platinums.

Paul

MichiganWhitetails74 01-28-2008 06:11 PM

A hot topic for me...I have 2 H&R 12 gauges....

I shoot Hornady SST's with my H&R and have taken a deer at 213 yards with a range finder and light winds....

My gun is sighted in for2.5 inches hi at 100 yards and zero @ 150 yards...My SST's drop 6.5 inches at 200 Yards...

I harvested about 10 deer with the federal Barnes expanders out to 180 yards...I dropped the federals and went for the SST's because of the 300 gr. bullet and longer shots. I hunt an area that allows for open field long distant shots...

Remember...the only way to get your H&R the best it can be is to site it in with a gun vice with zero to light wind conditions...try to take as much human error out of the gun that you can....Your H&R should hold in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards (Worst Case)..It will give you 1.5 to 2 inches with some work and patience...

Hornadys & Federal shoot the best for me.......Winchester were ok ..remingtons were bad.......lightfields were good but they're bulling balls...heavy....PM me if you want more info...I use a Leopold 2X7 on mine....Have fun.....You have a great gun there....but boy is she heavy aeh???...actually took a 43 inch bull moose with mine!!:D

millerhunter13 01-28-2008 06:21 PM

mine loves sst's

riner69er 01-28-2008 06:26 PM

that's impressive. 213 yards?? I was planning on using mine from 100 yards and in. But you are making me think.....

I was using a gun vice, but I should say, it was my dad's vice and it was the first time he used it. So it was sort of a learnign experience.

I do like the gun. I heard they have quite the kick, but using it in the vice I havent had the chance to experience that yet. I do liek the weight, and I love the Bushnell scope too. I cant wait to get it sighted in right and drop some boar.

millerhunter13 01-28-2008 06:31 PM

just dont go shooting 3.5 inch shells, i got a H&R 12 ga turkey gun and i shoot 3's and it nocks me almost off my feet everytime, but my 20 ga, slug gun dosnt kick bad, and i think i am shooting 3's too.

MichiganWhitetails74 01-28-2008 06:41 PM

The heavy bull barrel eats up the recoil...its smooth...

Hey guys....don't get me wrong the 213 yard shot with the sst's isn't an everyday shot...lets just say I could hear the bullet hit the deer quite clearly at that distance....

I'll tell you this though...I flipped an 8 pt at 168 yards with it like it was in my lap.....The H&R's are hungry for those 150 yard shots....youhave to site for zero @ 150 yards though...I never have to aim differently really at 50-100 yards...I just go 4 inches up from the belly and behind the shoulder at close range and it usually busts them mid to upper body behind the shoulder which almost always results in a drop in the tracks type of shot...

However - If you're a Zero @ 100 yards guy then just hold about 3-4 inches below the spine at 150 yards.....with a range finder I have learned alot about my H&R.....If you're going tobe confident and you want percision shots out to 150 yards and beyond...you have to have the range finder....you owe it to the animal....love this topic..!!! You guys got me going...I do not find much H&R talk on here!;)

riner69er 01-28-2008 06:52 PM

talk to me about what type of gun vice you use. my dad has one that had 2 adjustments on the front and 1 adjustment on the rear (up and down adjustment). We were not thinking, and kept adjusting the front part. 2 moving parts (and they were not easy to adjust accurately) was not the way to go. We shoul dhave been adjusting the rear to get it set up correctly.

Is that right?? Maybe he just doesnt have the best gun vice. It was definately better than not having it, but it still caused some confusion.

I got it sighted in to be about 1" high at 50 yards, and decided to move to 100 yards (I was running out of ammo). The first shot I took at 100 looked identical to the last shot at 50 - dead center 1" high. I know a lot of that depends on the flight of the slug, but I was surprised. And after that the shots actually got higher, up to 3" or 4" high and started to drift to the right.

Like I said, we werent real familiar with the vice, so I am not sure how much of the problem was the vice, the ammo or the shooter.

MichiganWhitetails74 01-28-2008 07:08 PM

Riner69,

I have acheap Lyman vise I bought from Dunhams....The main thing is that you try to lock the gun up as much as you can....once you set your shoulder into it you will see slight movement in your scope...

I shoot at 3 inch black ring targets at 100 yards......My recticle dances slightly inside the center of the black 3 inch ring....this is only what I experience with my set-up..30 dollar vise vs/ 200 dollar...

Trigger Squeeze -Not judging your experience - but..... if you're notsqueezing graduallyuntil the gun fires (you should be surprised when the gun goes off) you may only get ok groups...4 inch at best...

If you have a rock solid trigger finger your gun may not be happy with the ammo ...if you're experiencingbullets thatare drifting upward...I have had this problem with bullets too...

H&R gun barrels are thick and heavy....I have never experienced eratic groups because of hot barrels...however....5 boxes of shells on a 90 degree day could cause variation as well...

One thing is for sure....Regardless of where the tool life was on the tool that machined your barrel at the factory? There should be a bullet out there that your gun likes...I would say Hornady, Federal or Lightfield would get you where you want to be...the Remingtons sure did leave me with a dirty barrel in my gun though....My H&R 30-06 puked up the Remingtons too...I'm pumped to get out and try a different round with my new 30-06...

riner69er 01-28-2008 07:25 PM

I really think any of the things listed coul dbe the problem. Or some combination of all of the things. I did find that if I pulled the gun tight to my shoulder it would move the scope. I wasnt sure if I shoul dbe doing that, or just touching the gun to my shoulder so as to take as much "play" out of it as possible (I probably wont pull the gun tight with the same amount of pressure every time, but I can barely touch it to my shoulder every time with much more consistancy).

I really dont have much experience, I am more of a bow hunter, but I was taught to shoot by taking a deep breath, slowly letting it out, then half way through the breath (or so), slowly start to squeeze. Like you said, I was taught that I should be surprised when the gun goes off. I tried to do that as much as possible, but I'm afraid I started aimign and firing towards the end. I need to slow down some and take my time.

I am in Ohio, and this weekend is was arounf 20 degrees, so heat was not an issue. Ha! Yea, I was checking the barrel periodically, and it wasnt even warm.

I actually tried one Remmington copper solid on my last shot just to see how that would go (my dad had some in the truck). it ended up higher and more right than the Winchesters were. But it was only 1 shot, so....

Yea, I am going to get the Hornady and Federal I think and see how that goes. It sounds like most peopel are happy with the SSTs, so I'll start with those and if I'm not happy try the Federal.

thanks a lot for the info, I am going on a boar/Aoudad hunt in August, which is why I got this gun. I was thinking I might not be able to take an Aoudad with this gun since I didnt think it was accurate outside of 100 yards, but now you have me excited to work on my 200 yard shot.