Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sharps / .45-70 ???'s >

Sharps / .45-70 ???'s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sharps / .45-70 ???'s

Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Sharps / .45-70 ???'s

Would you consider the Sharps, or Sprinfield model 1873, or any of the "trapdoor" rifles a blackpowder rifle?
It uses a cartridge after all. But can use the "paper" cart's.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Sharps / .45-70 ???'s

Well, they shoot blackpowder, not smokeless powder.....so they are essentiallyblackpowder rifles....but it doesn't make them legal to hunt with around here.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM

I should have explained . . . I am thinking about joining a local gun club and they have a "Buffalo Shoot" every year. The club is mostly made up of cowboy revolver nuts,which isBP . But I didn't want to invest in a "Black Powder" rifle if it would not be allowed. There is no BP seasons here in Wyoming anyway, so not an issue. However, I would like to hunt with a BP.

Just kind of trying to select what to get as my first BP rifle.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neither the Sharps cartridge riflesor any of the trapdoor Springfields willshoot paper cartridges. They took metallic cartridges loaded with black powder. There was a percussion Sharps that used paper cartridges, but they won't work with metallic cartridges. Most cowboy shoots use black powder cartridges or at least guns of that period.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Would you consider the Sharps, or Sprinfield model 1873, or any of the "trapdoor" rifles a blackpowder rifle?
It uses a cartridge after all. But can use the "paper" cart's.
Yes, those are "black powder" rifles, in that they were originally designed for use with black powder, and were so used until smokeless powder was developed.. But they are NOTmuzzleloaders, they are breech-loading cartridge arms, and both are able to fire the LOW-PRESSURE factory-loaded .45/70 fixed ammunition (405-grain bullet, MV 1320 FPS) that is loaded with smokeless powder. However, NEITHER the 1873 Springfield nor the .45/70 cartridge Sharps are capable of using paper cartridges. The Civil War era Sharps used paper cartridges and percussion caps. It was a .54 caliber, and could NOT fire metallic cartridges!

Neither the Sharps nor the Trapdoor Springfield should ever be fired with any of the current, high-performance .45/70 smokeless powder ammo that is made for the Marlin 1895 Lever Action or the Ruger No. 1!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks all! The muddy waters are clearing up.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot with these guy's yet?? Have you been to any of their matches??? Why do you call them Cowboy Revolver Nuts???

I have shot at many different ranges in my life. I have never been turned away one time because of the type offirearm I wanted to shoot. Shooter's by there very nature will accept about anything.

If you decide to try BPCR the H&R Buffalo Classic is a dandy, andat a very reasonable price.

I am sure if you wanted to shoot a front stuffer they would not care. But I would not go there calling them Cowboy Revolver Nuts!!! Tom.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 AM

I could call them that to their face, they would not object. Don't misunderstand . . . I'm a "cowboy recolver nut" too! That's the main reason I am considering membership.
They do public shoots all year long and especially during our Frontier Days.
Bottom line . . . I'll call a couple members and see what their response is to my ???'s
Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I could call them that to their face, they would not object. Don't misunderstand . . . I'm a "cowboy recolver nut" too! That's the main reason I am considering membership.
They do public shoots all year long and especially during our Frontier Days.
Bottom line . . . I'll call a couple members and see what their response is to my ???'s
You mean the Single-Action Shooters' Society?? SASS?? The cowboy action fellows? I think they do want black powder to be used during their events.....
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many SASS members shoot smokless powder loads in both Revolvers and Cartridge rifles. I would check on their rules where you want to shoot. I do some Cowboy action shooting and its mostly smokless powder.