HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   O/U shotguns 1000-2000 dollar range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/224274-o-u-shotguns-1000-2000-dollar-range.html)

oldelkhunter 12-26-2007 08:29 AM

O/U shotguns 1000-2000 dollar range

First off there are so many out there in that price range compared to what was out there just a few short years ago. If you had to purchase a 12 gauge O/U what brand would it be and why? Please leave out the Turkish O/U's and the Russian stuff and the low end Spanish O/U's.

jeepkid 12-26-2007 09:07 AM

RE: O/U shotguns 1000-2000 dollar range

Browning Citori, just great fit and finish, quality is about the best for the price. The Cynergys are also nice, but there more expensive.

Another option would be a Ruger Red Label, I have never shot one, but I have heard good things about them.

Maybe even a Beretta is you can find one for the price, it would be nicer then both the Ruger and Browning.

speyrjb 12-26-2007 09:13 AM

I'm not really a big fan of the o/u shotguns...they feel too bulky to me when coming up to the shoulder. I would much rather have a Browning Gold Trigger auto or a Barretta. If I HAD to have a o/u it would be the Browning Cintori because out of all of the o/u shotguns that I have shot I would have to say that the Cintori shouldered the best for me.

Rammer 12-26-2007 09:39 AM

I have a Citori, but I prefer the Beretta's and the Ruger Red Labels. I have the 3.5" Citori, and its a bulky, heavy, pig. It only cost me $25 though. :D

retrieverman 12-26-2007 10:16 AM

About 10 years ago, I did alot of trading in O/U shotguns, and I have owned many Brownings and Berettas, and a few Red Labels. In my opinion, the best gun for the money is the Beretta Onyx. The Brownings that I have owned seem "clubby", and the Red Labels have all had sloppy actions. Of the dozen Berettas in various models, I prefer the Onyx and currently have a "rare" 12 ga English stocked model.

oldelkhunter 12-26-2007 10:25 AM

Just unloaded a Silver Pigeon S 20 gauge that was 2 1/2 years old. Gun looked great new but after very light use I notice the stock finish getting a purple haze effect and the finish on an incidental bump just chipped off 1/2" away from the toe on the buttstock .The nitride finish under the foreend latchstarting to turn black. I wish they wouldn't use that crap and just do it the old fashioned way with silver. I think they make the shallowest receiver gun which is a plus and they have a very strong action and a nice trigger. Red Labels I have owned I have been more then very happy with ..I believe they have a spring in the foreend that facilitates them opening faster then an equivalent shotgun. I really like my 28 gauge Red Label, it is all that it is advertised to be and is my quail/grouse gun. I know a dealer that has a pretty good deal going on Citoris/Weatherby Orions/Berettas and since I'll be in his area later next month I want to make sure I am choosing the right one. I also notice that CDNN has a bunch of Citoris and Winchester O/U's for sale as well as a number of Rugers.rf

Rebel Hog 12-26-2007 10:37 AM

Ed, I favor the Beretta's......Back in the middle andlate 1960's I shot a Beretta " Sliver Snipe" O/U, but like a FOOL:)I sold it in the middle 70's...My wife to be in 1967 gave mea FNBRN A-5 VR 12ga for that Xmas (which I still Have)and I started using it more and morethan the O/U Beretta.

The Berettawas the best fitting and quickest handling shotgun I ever had for Quail and Snipe.

oldelkhunter 12-26-2007 10:49 AM

Ed, I favor the Beretta's......Back in the middle andlate 1960's I shot a Beretta " Sliver Snipe" O/U, but like a FOOL:)I sold it in the middle 70's...My wife to be in 1967 gave mea FNBRN A-5 VR 12ga for that Xmas (which I still Have)and I started using it more and morethan the O/U Beretta.

The Berettawas the best fitting and quickest handling shotgun I ever had for Quail and Snipe.
Beretta is what I am favoring as well just w/o the nitride finish or a Rizzini. Owner of the sporting clays course near my home hates Berettas big time of course he works for one of the big gun manufacturers that beretta is handing their a&& to. Gander had the plain jane onyx for sale this time last year for I believe it was 1050 why didn't I buy 2 of those &*(**(( things.?

Rebel Hog 12-26-2007 11:21 AM

There's a nice Beretta on here for $1999.....

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---wheeling---sale-rack---198551-coral12ga.shtml

stubblejumper 12-26-2007 11:26 AM

I am on my second citori after foolishly selling the first.They are well made,and most important,they fit me.I tried many different guns,but the citori fit best.I liked the Beretta,but they simply didn't fit me.