Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which semi-auto pistol? >

Which semi-auto pistol?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which semi-auto pistol?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Which semi-auto pistol?

I plan on purchasing my first semi-auto pistol in the near future, but I have no experience with semi-autos so I thought I'd ask for your input. I'm not looking to spend any more than $600, although I'd prefer to spend less than $500. It will mainly be used for target shooting, home defense, and I may occasionally take it with me when I go hiking in mtn lion country. Of these three applications, target shooting will be the main purpose of this handgun. I don't plan on using it for concealed carry. If it helps at all, my hands aren't that big. I always purchase medium sized gloves.

Which makes/models should I be looking at, and in which caliber?

Any input is aprreciated.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which semi-auto pistol?

How about the Glock 20 .10 mm.Semi not to big but a powerhouse round .Shoot really well.Less than $600.00
If you don't want a Glock don't shoot one.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Springfield XD series. I have an XD 9mm, which took the place of my Glock 21. I liked the Glock, but I like the XD better. If you have smaller hands the XD will probably fit your hand better than most of the Glocks. I have big hands, and the Glock 21 and it's double stack .45ACP magazine made the grip very wide. You might look at the XD 40 in .40 S&W.

If you want a sidearm for defense against big predators, I'd actually recommend you look into a double action revolver. Something like the Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag or GP 100 .357 Mag.

Mike

Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 AM

I'm actually planning on buying a Ruger Redhawk 44mag for larger predators (bears and wolves) next summer. In no way do I intend my semi-auto to be used in grizz country. The only time I'd carry a semi-auto in the woods would possibly be for lions, and then only because a Redhawk weighs more. But for the time being, the bears are all in hibernation and I want a pistol I can do a lot of (affordable) shooting at the range with that will also be useful for home defense.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:53 AM

beretta 92fs 15 rounds 9 mm or the newerberetta storm 9mm 17 roundsthe stormhas adjustable hand grips for smaller hands and theyare both around 500dollars
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

1911 in .45 ACP.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As everybody knows,the .45acp is the all time best manstopper and mountain lions are similar in size if not smaller than a man. Get a para ordnance Lda in .45 and you'll wonder how you was ever able to live without it!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

As with any "what one?" question, you're gonna get ppl simply suggesting the model they have and not likely anything else. Best bet, , go to your local shops and handle the ones that appeal to you. Some will feel better than others. Eliminate them accordingly until there's one or two left to choose between. Then flip a coin. LOL Ok, maybe not but you'd be best off deciding on what chambering you'd want adn then handle some different models to see whcih one feels best to you. Any of the major manufacturers will serve you well and if taken care of last a long time.
Were it me looking for my first auto and had a $600 cap, I'd look at Ruger or CZ for new, maybe a USP from Hk as they're available in that range now being older models. Maybe a FN Hi-Power as well. I'm not scared to buy used either so I'd look at other HK's and some of the better 1911 makes.
If I wasn't too familiar with handguns at all, I'd proberly opt for an easy to shoot/user friendly chambering also. 9mm offers decent shootability, inexpensive ammunition and is quite adequate for personal protection.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 AM

As already posted, you will get a varying opinions. If you want capacityI would look at 9mm. They are cheap to shoot. I have shot manymodels of 9mm and I still will take myBrowning Hi Power over any one of them. It is very accurate and easy to maintain. If not a 9mm then I would go with a 1911, again easy to mantain and functional. I have 3 and love them. Parts are easy to get and if the tinkering bug hits there are a ton of aftermarket accessories availible. 45's are also cheap to shoot.

In my opinion, based on what you want it for I would lean towards the .45. The heavier bullet choice should sway you.

I'm sure what ever route you choose you will be happy. Goodluck on your decision.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Glock 22 .40 cal., but you would be happy with any Glock.

Quick Reply: Which semi-auto pistol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.