Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 VS 7MM rem. mag >

.308 VS 7MM rem. mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 VS 7MM rem. mag

Old 08-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default 7mm mag best all purpose

Originally Posted by TUK101
For me, and most of the people living around where I do, a 7mm Magnum is just too much gun for close quarters deer hunting. The 308, 30-06, 270 and calibers similar to those are more appropriate. Most shots around here are under 100 yards, and a 7mm Magnum is just too much kick, velocity and meat dameging power for deer sized game. Now there are guys who will argue and some of thier arguments are warrented, but even my 270 will waste some meat at close quarters if the shot isnt right on target. But at least with it, the recoil is managable enough to place the shot where it is needed more times than not. The 308 is in that same class of low recoil guns. Low recoil, accurate, enough gun to take down most game that you point it at without developing manumitis. What more can you ask for in an all around gun?

I own most every caliber but for hunting my SHR970 7mm mag will fit all applications as long as you are taking head shots. Hunt for meat not trophy.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

You dug up a 10 year old post to say that load of nonsense? As long as you take head shots? With a 7 mag? My 7 mag will bring down anything in this country with ease out to 500 yards up to and including Brown Bear. No head shot needed.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

have you ever killed enough deer to notice the difference between a headshot and a lung/shoulder shot deer? a headshot means a helluva bloody
mess on the cutting board.
RR