Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700) >

Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700)

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Spike

Default Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700)

I have a Remington Model 700 (.270 Win) with the usual heavy trigger pull. I would like to get it down to 2-3 lbs. I've read the DIY instructions (http://quarterbore.com) and while I consider myself very anal, careful and detail oriented, I'm not sure that me making the modification is wise. Most have stated that a gunsmith will do the adjustment for a reasonable cost.

How does a Timney trigger compare to a modified model 700 trigger, both at the same pull weight?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700)

Those 700 triggers will adjust and cleanup very nicely. All of mine have cost anywhere from 10-20 bucks...thats for the adjustment and the spring change. If you have a good smith around close Id just let them do it .
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Doe Dumper. I had my 700xcr with old triiger adjusted by a fellow benchrest shooter. He changed a spring and adjusted the trigger to a crisp 1.5Ibs.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regular trigger can be cleaned up well. A good gunsmith goes beyond just turning a weight screw though at least my gunsmith does. If I were to keep my current 700 I would send it back to the factory and get an X-Mark Pro installed. It is an inherently safer trigger then the current 700 trigger and it has an open design which won't allow dirt to accumulate inside if you keep up the trigger maintenance(Flushing out the housing with REmoil and blowing it out with an air gun). Trust me if Remington put it out it is for a good reason ..those lawsuits are getting quite expensive.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The factory trigger can easily be reworked to almost any desired performance level,and at or lower price than aftermarket triggers.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 AM

I've put three Timney triggers in rifles and have been very pleased with them. Takes all of thirty minutes to accomplish. Depends on how much your time and effort are worth.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay with the factory trigger and have you smith clean it up and lighten the pull weight.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two of my Remington 700s came from the factory with 3.5 pound trigger pulls. ichanged the spring and reduced the trigger pull on the third one, a.308, to 2.5 pounds. A trigger pull of less than 2 pounds in really not safe for hunting.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

I have never changed the springs as I never go down below 3-3.5lbs, but usually can get the remington triggers pretty crisp and light.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zuren1cs

I have a Remington Model 700 (.270 Win) with the usual heavy trigger pull. I would like to get it down to 2-3 lbs. I've read the DIY instructions (http://quarterbore.com) and while I consider myself very anal, careful and detail oriented, I'm not sure that me making the modification is wise. Most have stated that a gunsmith will do the adjustment for a reasonable cost.

How does a Timney trigger compare to a modified model 700 trigger, both at the same pull weight?

Thanks!
I have always been able to adjust Remington triggers down to 3-3.5 pounds safely. Never had to put an aftermarket trigger on one.

Quick Reply: Timney or have existing trigger adjusted? (Model 700)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.